Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tissue Box Covers

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been online or doing anything with my saw but I am about to get started again. I am wondering about making some tissure box covers. I would like to make a couple as gifts this year for my sitter and my son's teacher. What I am wondering is what type of wood do most use to make these beautiful things? Would baltic birch be an acceptable choice and since I am failry new still how do you go about doing proper corners? I do have a router and some other tools but don't use them much as most of the work I have done has been protraits etc...Thanks for the help!

John B is our resident expert on tissue box covers. If he does not stop in send him a private message.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks so much...I did search on here and found some of his past posts but am not sure if I could use the BB etc...

Comment

My personal opinion is depending on the joinery for the corners you may need to place some gussets inside for strength unless you are going to use some box joints or the like. I would prefer to see hardwood, due to the edges being exposed.
        Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Personally I would prefer solid wood for something like this. I don't care for the exposed edges of plywood.

I did simple miters for ones I made a few years ago. They are just glued and the sides were only 1/4" thick material. They have held up so far, with no signs of coming apart. YOu need a good means of cutting the miters accurately though to get a good tight fit.

Box joints would really look nice. There was a post earlier by someone who made a couple small boxes that could just as well be adapted for tissue box covers.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/bow...ects/41271.htm

Since you have a router, you could route a dado on the ends of the long sides to accept the short sides. This will give you plenty of glue area to get a solid joint. If you made the long sides longer, you could scroll decorative elements on each end, if you were so inclined. That would help hide the end grain.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
            Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
            Today, 12:59 AM
          • will8989
            Sundays market
            by will8989
            When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
            Today, 12:46 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by will8989
            I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
            Today, 12:27 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by jim_mex
            Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
            Yesterday, 08:47 PM
          • KarlB
            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
            by KarlB
            Very well done!

Karl
            Yesterday, 07:36 PM
          Working...
          X