No announcement yet.

Excalibur 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have had my Eccalibur a few days ago but finally got it today. Just finished setting up a new bench for it to sit on along with the dewalt 788. I have not tried it yet. I will just go over what Rick said about adjustments and then how mine compares. I will be all day tomorrow fitting out the new shop and then will try the saw on Friday. On Saturday I am getting a car load of half inch thick teak in 6ft lengths and on Sunday I am getting another lot of hardwoods, all planed to a 1/4 and a half inch. I am in heaven.

Comment

G'day Fretnot,
      I have an EX21, actually my second. I have found that the blade clamps are are a weak point eg Aluminium and steel. The problem is the top assembly is not cheap to replace, and it being aluminium wears quicker than the thumb screws. It seems like it would be an easy fix for the manufacturer, eg placing a steel plug in the aluminium and tapping that, to take the thumb screw. I must take my old one to a machine shop and have a helicoil put in it.

The other problem was the blade clamps, he said these were also aluminium and the bolt on the thumb screw were steel and as a result the thread wears out quite quickly and in the video he showed just how loose his were.
      This does not surprise me at all. My first saw was assembled wrongly with a mix of parts from various models, and problems did not show up until after I had it a few years. Actually the replacement top blade clamp, was unable to tighten the blade, and upon sending a heap of emails backward and forward to Ray at Seyco, he discovered the problem. I bought the saw from Carbetec and had the same problems as the bloke who made the video, but General stood behind their machine and replaced it with completely new one, much more than I could have asked for.
      It appears that after close inspection he did have some defect that caused premature wear.. Carba-Tec (the company he bought it from) refused to honor General International's directives in servicing his saw so General shipped a bunch of parts directly to him even though he is past the warranty period
      I'm sure you will enjoy your new saw. Basically it is a tank and taking into account these minor problems it should last for years.
      Regards
      John
      "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
      Some of my Stuff
      Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

In reading all this info regarding Patch and now some from you as well, I believe that Carbatec is buying seconds (General International's rejects) directly from the Taiwanese factories. They did mention at one point that they do buy directly from Taiwan and they "Don't have to listen to General's directives"

Their service is apparently really bad and it seems they are selling sub-par equipment. Avoid them if you can.

Originally posted by JohnB View Post
        G'day Fretnot,
        I have an EX21, actually my second. I have found that the blade clamps are are a weak point eg Aluminium and steel. The problem is the top assembly is not cheap to replace, and it being aluminium wears quicker than the thumb screws. It seems like it would be an easy fix for the manufacturer, eg placing a steel plug in the aluminium and tapping that, to take the thumb screw. I must take my old one to a machine shop and have a helicoil put in it.

This does not surprise me at all. My first saw was assembled wrongly with a mix of parts from various models, and problems did not show up until after I had it a few years. Actually the replacement top blade clamp, was unable to tighten the blade, and upon sending a heap of emails backward and forward to Ray at Seyco, he discovered the problem. I bought the saw from Carbetec and had the same problems as the bloke who made the video, but General stood behind their machine and replaced it with completely new one, much more than I could have asked for.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new saw. Basically it is a tank and taking into account these minor problems it should last for years.
        Keith Fenton
        Scroll saw patterns @
        www.sheilalandrydesigns.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X