Just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious

I will like to know what type of sitting people use with their scrollsaws.
    Myself I use a stool but I find it hard on the back after a long period of time.
    Since I got myself a new Excalibur I like to know if there is a better set up.

Tks for reading me.

I use a small office chair and I also have a piece of 4"x4" under the back leg of the scrollsaw table to elevate it so there's less stain on the back and neck . It's helped me so far - when cutting for hours I can tell it helps me .......
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I also use a tall stool. I agree it is hard on the back, so I put a foot stool under my saw. With my feet on the foot stool, my back no longer hurts and I can cut longer
      www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I use a captains chair with wheels and the back of my scroll saw is raised 2 inches. I find I have better control and I can sit for long periods of time without back or neck strain.

George

Comment

I use an old work stool they were throwing out at work. It swivels, is height adjustable (really nice, because I set it higher for the scrollsaw than for my work table). It's on wheels, so I can swivel & roll between the saw and the bench. The upholstery was shot, but I put a cushion on it and it's fine for me. It has a back on it and it's fairly comfortable. I have a Dewalt with the tilted stand, so I'm able to scroll for a couple hours before I start to cramp up too much.

To me, the critical things are matching the stool height to the saw height. You want to be seated at a comfortable height, relative to your saw, which helps prevent you from hunching over too much. If needed, make a place to rest your feet. My stool has a footrest on it and I have a small platform where I place my footswitch to rest my other foot. Also I like having a nice, comfortable seat cushion.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I use a stool I bought at Sears several years ago - it's height adjustable, which helps if I'm at the saw a long time. I can change the height by an inch or two and that seems to change my neck and back angle enough to help the stiffness. And it has a place to rest your feet - I agree with Bill Wilson that's very important.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the info, I guess the important thing is to make it comfy.

Comment

Ok, this ought to be an interesting tale for y'all...

I have my 788 on an old kitchen table, on top of two styrofoam blocks. They're different hights, so the back of the saw is raised. That helps...
                One thing that seems to do me well is that the saw table is four inches from my chin. I can cut for hours that way.
                Oh, and I sit on an even older piano bench, with a salvaged seat cushion on it...lol.

I think that the four inches thing is what makes it work....
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I had back surgery in 2007 for stenosis and find that standing at the saw is much easier on my back than sitting.
                  Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Scrollerpete, you have a lot of good advice here & I would add that, I sit on a padded stool with footrests & I still lean over my table to watch where I'm cutting. I find that I can't lean back on the back-rest of the stool while I'm cutting no matter what. Maybe someone can help you, but, I just can't ease the back pain when I scroll. Good Luck
                    PERK

Comment

I use a padded stool. Doing fretwork I very rarely cut more than 10 cuts at any one sitting. I drill 10..then cut 10. This helps my attention to the project. (My mind seems to wander while cutting)

Comment

Back pain

Hi Pete.

I am across the pond in the UK but back pain is back pain where ever you are. I have five prolapsed disc so like you I can only sit for short periods of time but some months ago the hospital gave me a special stool. At first I laughed at it because it was tilting forward but it was amazing when I used it. I can sit at my scroll saw now for a good hour before I have to go and make another cup of coffee. The legs are adjustable so you can have it in any position you like, it has arms and a back rest as well. I don't know if you have them where you are but its made a big difference for me. Take care.

Geoff

Comment

hello every body i have the rbi saw its stand is not as moveable i have ben looking to fined a bar stoll and cut the legs down on it to get the right hight i have a delta q3 that is broke down i am going to fix it soon as i can or buy anouther rbi and i am going to set two saws up so i can set at one and stand at the other one i had my shop fox saws set up this way and i can cut for hours it realy helps to have two saws i have a bad back and a bad nerve disease and ben testing me for ms they thank i may have it i sure hope i dont if you can get two saws try it out i love cuting it has helped me out and glad to have thids site it is great

Comment

I use a stool with adjustable seat in fact it was being sold for use with an ironing table , It can be folded up and hung up on the wall out of the way in the workshop. Someone put advice on -line about the use of a padded house brick for the relief of back pain, Put one foot on the brick while working in the standing position to help the back muscles , left or right foot your choice . SAM

Comment

I have an EX30 and with the back legs of its stand raised to tilt the saw forward I use a swivel office chair with wheels on it. So far that has worked best for me with that saw. I also have severe back problems. With my Q3 Delta saw I use a taller bar stool and the saw tilted forward. I can work the longest with these set ups.But with the Q3 I will sit a while and stand a while to stretch my back some. Steve
                              If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                              My Gallery
                              [email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X