No announcement yet.

Importance of securing stand to floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of securing stand to floor?

Hi, folks. I have a silly question. I just got a new saw, and for the first time, got the matching stand. The instructions say to make sure you secure the stand to the floor before using the saw. My question is, how important is it to secure the stand to the floor? I mean, I'm sure it would reduce vibration, but how much? It's not going to hurt my floor, if I don't secure it to the floor, is it? Thanks for your help!
    "Beauty will save the world"
    www.BlakesPA.com

What kind of saw is it?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I have a 788 and I can't imagine an actual need to attach it to the floor.
      May the wind at you back .....
      Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Mine is not secured to the floor. I suppose it would help a little but it is probably them trying to cover their fannies in case someone tips over the saw. Which would take quite a bit of tipping. Personal preference I think.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Good, thanks! It's a DeWalt 20" (DW788).
          www.BlakesPA.com

Comment

I have a DeWalt with the factory stand and see no reason to secure it to the floor. I think it would take a really serious effort to tip it over.
            Terry

Comment

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have 2 Delta saws and they aren't secured to the floor.

Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I move my saw occasionally and that would really cramp my style to have it bolted down.
                  Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                  Desert Woodcrafters
                  Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Seems like a majority. I have a Delta with a factory stand and don't secure it. Probably the company had to put that in the instructions for liability reasons.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
                    Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

What kind of floor do you have. Some wooden floors can increase vibration in the saws, although, the D788 is well known for it's smoothness.

My Dewalt is not bolted to the floor and is very smooth, however; it is a tiled cement floor. Perhaps they recommend bolting to some of the wooden floors.

Test your saw. If it is steady & doesn't vibrate, don't worry about it. If it does vibrate, you may want to consider a harder floor.
                      The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

I once had a DeWalt and it worked fine without being secured to the floor. I now have two Hegnars and both NEED to be bolted to the concrete foor to keep vibration to an acceptable level.
                        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Being a journeyman union carpenter, I am in the habit of securing tools like this. Precautions like this are mandatory on a job site, and after years and years and 100's of jobs, that mindset carries over into your personal life.
                          So I would most likely bolt it down, but I don't see it being a real hazard if you don't.
                          I got 2 scoll saws but I have them on a bench, where they are both bolted down.

Comment

I have a Dewalt 788 it is not secure and never had a problem.
                            Stan

Comment

Thanks, folks. Seems we have a consensus. I have a concrete floor, and I won't be putting holes in it. Thanks again for all the input!
                              www.BlakesPA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                                It is so cute (Christmas deer)
                                by alexscrollsaw
                                "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
                                Today, 02:03 PM
                              • markdavd
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by markdavd
                                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                                Today, 09:45 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              Working...
                              X