Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of Scroll Saw for Carving Rough Out's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Scroll Saw for Carving Rough Out's...

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to know if anyone else uses their scrollsaws for cutting out 'rough outs' for their wood caving projects... I love my Delta 788 for scrolling, but have found it's perfect for cutting out many of the rough outs I use for smaller carvings...plenty of power and cuts the detail sooo easy that it saves me soooo much time in carving and wear and tear on my carving hands.
    I use a #9 Olson blade which is perfect for rough outs in most woods that I carve. Any other ideas out there for what they use their scroll saws for? Such an idea tool to assist in any/all projects... I'd be lost now without one!
    Save scrolling and carving to all!
    Kenn
    "Life is like wrestling with a gorilla, you don't stop when you get tired you stop when the gorilla gets tired."

Old Codger - I'm more of a furniture builder then anything else - 2nd classification would be a scoller - then a carver (have only done a little of it with moderate success). The little I've read about carving has suggested I cut out as much waste as possible before using the knives, so I have used my Delta 788 for that task. It's a great saw and I love to incorporate it in as many projects as I can. I have posted a few examples in my profile. As soon as I am finished with a few projects not requiring the use of my scroll saw, I will seek out a project featuring my scroll saw. It's a great tool to enhance my woodworking projects. Thanks for the post... I'm excited to making use of my scroll saw.
    It's never hot or cold in NH, it's always seasonal!

Comment

Honestly, I bought my first scroll saw to help in carving, then slowly became more of a scroller than carver, (though I'm still a mixture of both).
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I'm the same as Jim Sawyer in my progression with carving to scroll sawing.
        Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

I use my scroll saw to cut the outline of small carvings quite often. Any time the wood is less then 2" thick I'll use the scroll saw to cut out the blank. Most recently I've been cutting out angel Christmas ornaments that are about 3 inches tall from 1/2" basswood. The scroll saw makes the 2D outline easy to achieve. I use a knife to make it 3D.

Comment

There have been plenty of times that I have cut my profile twice out of 5/4 basswood, and then glued and clamped the two together to get a 2 1/2" blank to carve.
            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
            No task is too tedious for Art.
            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by will8989
              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
              Today, 12:20 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Yesterday, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Yesterday, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Yesterday, 07:42 AM
            Working...
            X