What I did with Larry's wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did with Larry's wood

I ordered some of the wood from Larry the Wood Guy and was very fascinated with the variety and colors of the wood I received. I spent many hours spreading the wood out over the floor and exploring, grouping, regrouping, sorting, etc. Thanks to Larry many of the types of wood were labeled, but many more were what I termed "mystery wood."

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally determined what I wanted to make first from this wide assortment of wood. I chose a project from the Summer 2007 SSWW&C magazine (issue 27). The pattern is called Rustic Windmill and was designed by Gary Sherrodd. It was a design contest finalist.

What I really liked about this project was the freedom to be creative and to add my own unique touches. The individual layers or canvas was created from wood I had available around the house. The finer details of this project were completed with Larry's wood. Overall, I am very pleased with the final project and liked it so much that it will hang on my own wall. I fully plan to create more projects using this technique.

A special thank you to Gary for a great pattern and to Larry for the large variety of wood that he sent me.
    Attached Files
    Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Way cool, Tammy! Very nice.

Jan

Comment

This project shows that you really enjoyed doing it and that is very neat! Very nice job!

Comment

very nice Tammy. great work
        David
        My grandbabies are what keep me going

Comment

WOW, that's looks great Tammy....
          I would say that one would be my pride and joy too...

Trout
          Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
          Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Tammy, good job, I really like it. I would hang it on my wall to.
            Fran

Comment

very nice, I like it
              Excuse my English, I go through a translator
              Jean-Jacques
              http://tour-dec.fr/

Comment

Very well done.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

There's so much to look at, and the depth of it is beautiful...!!!!!
                  Love the frame..!!!
                  And I would keep it for myself too...!!!
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

That is WAY cool!!!
                    A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

Very nice workmanship and so unique. Tell us about making the frame.
                      DeWalt 788

Comment

Nicely done! I like it!
                        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

You really did a great job with that!!
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Very nice. ............... I love the frame
                            May the wind at you back .....
                            Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                              Very nice workmanship and so unique. Tell us about making the frame.
                              The frame was a challenge due to the thickness of the bottom end. The first thing I did was contour the bottom so that it was beveled inward toward the picture. This was the hardest part because I cut it on the scroll saw very slowly with the table tilted as far as it would go. This left me with a very rough edge which I then sanded on the belt sander. Once that was completed I could proceed to framing the piece.

I bought some cheap mailing twine from the dollar store. Using nine strands of the twine, I braided for about 2 hours. Loads of fun! LOL. Then I cut the braid to lengths that would wrap the bottom edge starting from the far back and working toward the front of the picture. I glued mutiple layers of braid to the bottom edge building my way to the front edge. When close to the front edge I wraped two strands of the braid all the way around the edge of the entire project, covering and sealing in the ends of the lower braids. Voila, a rustic frame.

I have to say that this was a really fun project to make. I just loved the freedom that it gave me to use some smaller pieces of wood and to be free to design as I went along. No real set pattern, just a general guideline and idea to follow. I am thinking that this same concept could be used for almost any outdoor scene.

Thnaks for all of your comments.
                              Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                This market is run a little different than most. All monies collected go back into the market. Each month they put on a different event to draw in people. The budget is usually $600 in the busy months. The pavilion is well maintained with sides that pull down in the colder months. The only time Sunday...
                                Today, 01:41 AM
                              • cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X