Steph 'N Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steph 'N Stitch

Hi, new kid on the block here. This is a picture of my first attempt at converting a photo into a scrolling pattern. The photo is of my youngest daughter Stephanie taken at Disney’s Animal Kingdom last year. The scroll saw piece was done on 1/4 inch BB using straight blades (I’ve yet to try spirals but am looking forward to giving them a try soon).

I was unfamiliar with the process of turning a photo into a scrolling pattern until I started reading this message board. I’m not sure whether it took me longer to make the pattern, or to cut it out, but it was a wonderful learning experience.

Thanks to all of you who have posted the various tidbits of information that allowed me to discover this exciting, new (to me) form of scrolling.

I hope I get the picture attachment part right!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Undone; 09-19-2006, 05:24 PM.
    Jim
    Undone - I'm not finished yet

Hmmmm, the pictures look "all blotchy". I guess I need to look into how to do the “picture posting part” further.
    Jim

Comment

Okay, I think I fixed 'em.
      Jim

Comment

Undone,
        Your pictures still look kind of - maybe pixel-y would be the right word. But whatever, I can tell that it was a cute picture, and that you did a good job interpreting it into a scrolling. I haven't a clue about the pictures - I can't even use the hand-me-down digital camera I have, but there are some real sharp folks on here who can help you a lot - they'll probably be on after work.
        Sandy
        I think it must be my monitor - disregard previous comment on pics.
        Sandy
        Last edited by sheltiecarver; 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Actually Undone, they look fine to me. Nice conversion, especially considering it was your first attempt. Time to start showing it off, taking orders and making some extra cash.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Pictures look fine, nicely done!
            Mark Abbett
            DW788

Comment

Hi,

I'd say you did quite well.

Congrats. (And the pictures look good to me)

Regards,
              Marcel
              http://marleb.com
              DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Nice job!

Stitch is one of my favorite Disney characters.
                Kelly
                "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Thank you all for the encouragement. It’s definitely gratifying to create your own pattern, but it’s certainly a lot more work then just going with someone else’s published work. I’m sure I’ll continue to experiment with this, but will intersperse it with hefty doses pre-printed patterns. I just received the new J.Z. DVD and hope to learn more about “what’s possible” from this.

One thing I’ve noticed when I look at the many fine pieces posted by other forum members here is the use of large areas of shadow (or larger cut-out sections). This really helps the piece to “stand out”. I’ll have to try and incorporate this into my next attempt.
                  Jim

Comment

Very nice first effort. I gave up on trying to make patterns with so many experts on the sites I would rather spend time "cuttin'".

John

Old Dust

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                      Reply to Pattern Vault
                      by dottyblues
                      Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                      Today, 12:20 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                      I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                      In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                      I also added the...
                      Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                    • will8989
                      Supermax
                      by will8989
                      Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                      Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Help help
                      by will8989
                      Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                      Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Pattern Vault
                      by KarlB
                      Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                      Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                    Working...
                    X