What speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speed?

When scroll sawing through hard wood (oak,ect) isn't it best to lower the RPM on the saw, to keep it from burning the wood?
    Nathan May, Auburn AL
    Nathan May

RPMS saw teeth and you

This is a more complicated question than it appears.The answer depends on hardness of wood ,thickness of same,number of teeth on blade ,lubrication
    afforded ,speed of saw ,and then tension of blade and probably the biggest
    variable your speed .any and all of these ,in any number of combinations will
    adversely effect the cutting results . Normally ,thicker wood requires less but
    bigger teeth per in. slower rpms more tension .taunter blade[ higher ping pitch]
    and slower even push [you] as usual there is always a trade off ,larger teeth not
    as fine a cut,experiment till you find the combination that works for you!

my very best!
    Carl
    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Carl's answer is perfect, work on your own speed combination. That speed will change with time, but in the meantime enjoy what you cut at whatever speed you decide to use.
      Taking It Real Easy
      Doug

Doug's Wood Puzzles and Gallery

Comment

I look at it this way, If I can't stay on the line, slow down the saw. If it seems like it's slow going, turn it up.
        Using clear packing tape or blue painters tape on the wood will help with burning the wood. I use clear packing tape over the pattern. Just my choice.
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Ditto Carl.. Good luck

Comment

Nathan, you have a lot of good advice here, so, now it's up to you to choose how you cut your piece of wood. I have cut name plaques from 3/4 in. Oak & used a #3 polar FD blade. I did use a #1 spiral for some of it too. If I could, I would use the spirals for everything I cut. I love those spirals.
            PERK

Comment

I agree with Carl and Dan that there are many variables and you have to choose your own combination. Here is my two cents. I have cut 3/4 oak and other hardwoods using everything from a #2 RT blade to a #7 ST blade. What I use and how many SPM I set the saw at depends on the details in the cutting. Many sharp turns or corners generally need a smaller blade and a slower SPM to make them come out clean. It just takes some practice. If you try your skills on a piece of scrap wood, using different blades and speeds, before tackling your project, you will save yourself a lot of frustration.

george
              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X