small screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small screws

I was wondering how you used small screws on 1/8" & 1/4" wood . When I put hinges ect. on I have to start them then back out and grand off the point.The smallest i found 8mm. Just wounding what others do.Thank you And this find forum.

Good question. I have wondered too. I have made do with washers and wooden spacers.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

....you might want to check out SLOANS for a great assortment of short and dinky screws........most of their screws are of the phillips head type.......much easier to work with and respond well to magnetic tipped screwdrivers..most of my work is done useing 1/4 inch screws....im sure shorter are available.........however i have NEVER looked for anything smaller on their site. price is VERY reasonable and the shipping is fast.

Comment

Hello, When I have thinner woods and make wall hangings or crosses, I do not use the screw. I use super glue on the back of the hanger and a use a cotton swab to hold it against the metal part so that the glue does not come thru the screw hole and glue my finger to the wood. Do not ask me how I know this will happen. LOL I hope this helps.
        Mark
        Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Good question ! I have trouble finding any screws, locally, that are small enough to use on my turn buttons on my backer for portraits. Usually, they are larger quantities & cheaper too, if they are bought at a place like Sloan's etc. Thanks for the info.
          PERK

Comment

I have been making the walls of my cedar boxes 3/8" thick because the smallest hinge screw I have found is 3/8" long. I need to look into those 1/4" screws at Sloans.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I buy my small screws from a company called Bolt Depot.
              I find threir priceses or very good , for the price of a few screwss in a hardware or any of the Big lumber supply stores you can get a box of 100.

Comment

I order all my small screws from Woodworking Tools and Supplies for Woodworking, Projects & Hobbys They have quite a few different sizes and are very fast at mailing their stuff out. Buy most all my clock inserts there too, and sawtooth hangers etc etc.

Kevin
                Kevin
                www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

I buy my little screws from LeeValley. It is also a source for the small screw eyes for birdhouse and ornaments.

They have a number of sizes at 1/4 inch.
                  Lee Valley Tools - Small screws

Don

PS: They currently have free shipping on $40 orders.
                  Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by Jimern
                    The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                    Today, 06:29 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by will8989
                    The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                    Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                    Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                    Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X