small screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small screws

I was wondering how you used small screws on 1/8" & 1/4" wood . When I put hinges ect. on I have to start them then back out and grand off the point.The smallest i found 8mm. Just wounding what others do.Thank you And this find forum.

Good question. I have wondered too. I have made do with washers and wooden spacers.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

....you might want to check out SLOANS for a great assortment of short and dinky screws........most of their screws are of the phillips head type.......much easier to work with and respond well to magnetic tipped screwdrivers..most of my work is done useing 1/4 inch screws....im sure shorter are available.........however i have NEVER looked for anything smaller on their site. price is VERY reasonable and the shipping is fast.

Comment

Hello, When I have thinner woods and make wall hangings or crosses, I do not use the screw. I use super glue on the back of the hanger and a use a cotton swab to hold it against the metal part so that the glue does not come thru the screw hole and glue my finger to the wood. Do not ask me how I know this will happen. LOL I hope this helps.
        Mark
        Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Good question ! I have trouble finding any screws, locally, that are small enough to use on my turn buttons on my backer for portraits. Usually, they are larger quantities & cheaper too, if they are bought at a place like Sloan's etc. Thanks for the info.
          PERK

Comment

I have been making the walls of my cedar boxes 3/8" thick because the smallest hinge screw I have found is 3/8" long. I need to look into those 1/4" screws at Sloans.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I buy my small screws from a company called Bolt Depot.
              I find threir priceses or very good , for the price of a few screwss in a hardware or any of the Big lumber supply stores you can get a box of 100.

Comment

I order all my small screws from Woodworking Tools and Supplies for Woodworking, Projects & Hobbys They have quite a few different sizes and are very fast at mailing their stuff out. Buy most all my clock inserts there too, and sawtooth hangers etc etc.

Kevin
                Kevin
                www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

I buy my little screws from LeeValley. It is also a source for the small screw eyes for birdhouse and ornaments.

They have a number of sizes at 1/4 inch.
                  Lee Valley Tools - Small screws

Don

PS: They currently have free shipping on $40 orders.
                  Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                    Reply to Wood identification needed
                    by Rolf
                    This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                    Today, 07:38 AM
                  • handibunny
                    Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                    by handibunny
                    I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                    Today, 07:01 AM
                  • handibunny
                    by handibunny
                    If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                    Today, 06:59 AM
                  • dgman
                    by dgman
                    The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                    Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                  • vgraf
                    Wood identification needed
                    by vgraf
                    I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                    Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X