stack cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stack cutting

When you stack cut, do you use the whole 2" capacity if you had 1/2 inch stock do you cut 2, 3, or 4 at a time what about 1/8 inch stock what would be a safe number to cut at one time thanks Karl

Karl, I stack cut 3, 1/8" plywood or 1, 1/4" with 1, 1/8". But I usually use a 2/0, 28 t.p.i blade. Stacking too many pieces and your bottom piece won't come out very good. Try a few combinations and see what works best for you. The thicker the stack the harder your saw will have to work.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

G'day Karl,
      There is point of diminishing return when stack cutting.
      You may be able to stack four pieces of 3mm and still cut pretty quickly, but 5 pieces may slow you down and make the saw work harder, so that nothing is gained by cutting that extra piece. I find it is often quicker and easier to split the stack and cut two lots, one of three and one of two, if that makes any sense.
      The above are examples only and you will have to find out where you think the diminishing return point is.
      Regards
      John
      "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
      Some of my Stuff
      Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Thanks, I never stack cut before but with Christmas coming up I thought I would give it a try

Comment

On 1/8" Baltic Birch I cut from 3 to 5 pieces in a stack. For alder, maple, cottonwood, birch and cedar I cut between 1/2" and 3/4" depending on detail and hardness of the wood. Play with it and see what works best for your application. Lots of folks cut 3/4" oak stock. Tension and blade size will have a big impact on your success.
          Got Moose?

Comment

I usually don't like to make my stacks any taller than 3/4".

Comment

I have cut up to 1 inch but it does take practice and you need to slow way down in your feed rate and keep the blade speed high.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I usually stack cut ornaments (4-6) and bookmarks (10-12) and sometimes scenes or animal portraits (2-3). I never go past 3/4" high stack and my maximum is usually only 3/8 to 1/2. As Mick said, with a small blade, you need to have a shorter stack. The harder the wood, the shorter the stack.

Keep the tension as high as you can and be careful not to put side pressure on the blade or you will bevel your cut and lose detail and bridges in the bottom layer.

george
                A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I also limit the stack to about 3/4 inch. Make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the table, both on the side and, as much as your saw allows, front to back.

Comment

I am in line with George,
                    Most of my ornaments are cut from 1/16 birch ply, I do six at a time with a 2/0 Olson even with the fine details. For the 1/8 which I rarely use it 3 to 4 layers.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

One major point in stack cutting is to double check that your blade is perfectly square to the table.

John

Old Dust

Comment

I cut a piece of 2X4 cedar into a bracelet, and it took FOREVER to cut it and I had to use a #9 blade and push really hard! For grins, I had also stack cut various sizes of wood to nearly 2-inches tall, and it, too, took forever, pushing hard. Not worth it, except that there really was no choice for the bracelet.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X