Look Ozark......spirals !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look Ozark......spirals !

Well for part of it anyway I used a spiral blade for all of the line work on this portrait for a friend . They're a little wavy in places but it is not clearly noticeable ....The Shop Widow didn't notice I can definately see the advantages of mastering these buggers
    Thanx everyone for some truly useful tips on using these !

Sue.JPG
    ...~Robert~
    DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Very nice, Robert. You must be getting used to the Wacom. I haven't used mine a lot yet but it will happen. I would have to enlarge that portrait a heck of a lot more to find any wavy lines. You did a heck of a job, even if you did use spirals.

One critique - if you could have somehow broke up the solid black on the lower half of the dog, I think that might have looked a bit better. I'm new at this too so I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Other than that, I would have been proud to design and cut that project.
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Nice job Robert

Can't see the waves myself.

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

your getting there little brother. nice job again. Evie

Comment

Thanx Marcel and Evie for the kind words , ....it sure is good to be back online

Mike, this was actually done last weekend before I got the Wacom and I tend to agree with you on the dog. I tried several different ideas and just couldn't pull it off so I bailed and just filled it in
          Thanx very much for your kind comments
          ...~Robert~
          DW788 and Hawk 226

Comment

Hey Robert,
            It's looking GREAT! Way to go! Looks like you are having fun. Good work with the 'spirals'. I have enjoyed playing with them also. Keep up the AWESOME work.

Tim
            "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Great job on that portrait. Keep at it with those spirals and you'll learn to love them. They aren't necessarily the right blade for every job, but they do look great on portraits in my opinion.
              Jim
              DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Way to go Robert! Nice pattern too. Wavy lines? Nah! Thats the way you meant it to be. You are your own worst critic.

Practice, practice, practice.

And remember, spiral blades, the twisted blade for twisted minds!
                Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Robert -I see nothing wrong with your portrait. As a big spirals fan I think you did a fine job..Keep on practicing like that and you'll be a natural in no time.

Love ya--'
                  Sharon

Comment

very nice work Robert
                    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

The edges of clothing and hair etc are never straight lines, so in my opinion those edges should be wavy. Not that I can see any of that in you picture.
                      Nice job.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Robert,

you should be downright PROUD of that piece! Excellent pattern, excellent cutting. Very impressive, sir!
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Thanx

Thanx, everyone for the kudos and the encouragement
                          I managed to start and finish cutting 2 projects today that I did completely with spirals. I am actually becoming quite fond of them . I can't see me using them exclusively, but they sure get the job done in the right application. Hopefully I can post the pics tommorrow
                          ...~Robert~
                          DW788 and Hawk 226

Comment

As I have said before, I think, nothig says you have to use only one knid of blade on any project. Here is another one I used both on. There are very few projects that I use the same kind of blade on or even the same size.

Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Chuck, that picture should go in the bragging section. That is an exceptionally nice winter scene. You should be bragging about that one.
                              Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                              www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                                Today, 01:31 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X