Pen project on scroll saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pen project on scroll saw

A few weeks ago I made some 12 cent pens on the lathe, and decided to try another batch using the scroll saw, drill press, Dremel, and various sanders.
    They are all made with free wood from Larry, I got a couple of boxes from him, and for most of them, I have no clue what kind of wood is in these pens.
    They are made with the refill from Bic pens, no other pen kit needed.
    IMG_5879 (Small).JPG bic pen refills made on scroll saw, drill press, and sanders (Small).JPG
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Nice pens .Just shows that most things can be accomplished with a scrollsaw .

Roger

Comment

Sweeeeeeeet! Nicely done!
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

How did you drill the hole for the refill?
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Ditto StephenD's question, and would you share HOW you did the scroll saw pens? These are wonderful!

Comment

Nice looking pens! So, are you going to share your secret?
            Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Very nice WD...OK, I give, how did you cut them on the scroll saw??
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

i was just gonna ask the same question, how did you cut them
                nice pens by the way!

Comment

Those are beautiful - nice workmanship!
                  DeWalt 788

Comment

WOW, nice, as everyone else is asking, how did you make those on your scroll saw?
                    Thanks for sharing.
                    Taking It Real Easy
                    Doug

Doug's Wood Puzzles and Gallery

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, to help those of you who have never made a pen on a lathe, or other tool I decided to make one this morning with a little WIP for ya. Hope it helps, and if you have any more questions just fire away. Would love to see what you come up with. The designs are up to your imagination, and creative glue ups.
                      To begin with get your wood sized to about 3/4 X 3/4 X 6 inches.Size not too critical, you will make fat, or skinny pens depending on your choice. Draw a pen on 2 sides.
                      IMG_5889 (Small).JPG IMG_5888 (Small).JPG
                      Cut the blank about 2 1/4 inches, find the center on the end, and drill a hole thru it, find the center on the other blank, and drill as far as needed to fit the rest of ink refill.
                      IMG_5890 (Small).JPG IMG_5892 (Small).JPG IMG_5893 (Small).JPG
                      For this pen I have a band between the blanks, and on the end, so cut that to size, glue and drill it. Glue all of the pieces together and wait for the glue to dry....patience has its rewards. The tip end need a 5/32 hole to fit the nib about 1/2 deep.
                      IMG_5894 (Small).JPG IMG_5896 (Small).JPG
                      Bring the unit to the scroll saw and cut out your pen drawing on one side, tape the ends together, and cut the other pen drawing on the other side. Just like compound cutting for those of you who have done this, its the same thing. I like to use clamps.
                      IMG_5899 (Small).JPG IMG_5900 (Small).JPG
                      Use sanders of your choice, my preference is the belt sander, and disk sander, and of course the old arms with hand sanding.
                      When using the belt sander I hold one end of the pen, at the end of the sanding belt and keep rotating the pen while using my other hand to hold down the other end, don't press too hard or it will go flying......safety glasses a must here. Photo shows only one hand at the time, but I do use 2 hands, I just couldn't manage to take the photo otherwise.
                      IMG_5901 (Small).JPG IMG_5904 (Small).JPG IMG_5903 (Small).JPG
                      Use finish of your choice, and thats all there is to that.
                      IMG_5907 (Small).JPG IMG_5910 end (Small).jpg
                      Side note: don't glue the ink refill in, so you will be able to replace it out when it runs dry.
                      If you don't want to use the drill press, you can also cut the blank lengthwise, hog out a space for the ink refill with the Dremel tool, just be careful for the nib end (tip) it needs a round hole 5/32 for friction fit. Some of the pens shown without the contrasting bands were done that way.
                      Would love to see what you come up with, so don't be bashful, I showed you mine.........
                      Last edited by Wood Dog; 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Wow!! This is awesome Wood Dog!! I'm going to have to give it a try!!!
                        Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I've been watching posts of people making them on the lathe and want to make some, but don't have a lathe. Will have to give this a try. Thanks for the explanation.
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

those look great.
                            Clayton

Comment

Thanks for the great idea wood dog>

Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by Bill Wilson
                                I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                                Today, 02:49 PM
                              • Bill Wilson
                                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                                by Bill Wilson
                                Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                                Today, 02:13 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                                by will8989
                                Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                                Today, 01:57 PM
                              • Don in Brooklin On
                                Virtual Wood Show
                                by Don in Brooklin On
                                Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
                                Today, 12:56 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by cwmagee
                                Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
                                Today, 12:09 PM
                              Working...
                              X