New pics of latest projects!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pics of latest projects!

I finally got some scroll saw work on my digital camera, so this will be my first formal post of scroll saw project pics on the board. Funny how that makes me feel like a newbie, even though I've been scrolling for a number of years.

The first is the John Nelson Italian fretwork clock from the most recent issue of SSW&C magazine. It's made out of walnut, maple & poplar and finished with boiled linseed oil (on the walnut only) and clear shellac.

The 2nd is Sue Mey's Nativity Cross, from the Fall 2009 SSW&C. Walnut & maple, finished the same way as the clock.

The 3rd is a picture frame from a pattern by Richard Preator that was in the Summer 2006 SSW&C. It's cut from maple and finished with clear shellac.

The last pic is all three placed together. Pardon the cheesy background. That is actually an old bed sheet, but it was the best thing I could find.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think. All comments welcome!
    Attached Files
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

So when are you going to take on some intricate scroll work? J/K Very nice job and really like the contrasting wood on the clock.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nice! Nice job on the pics too, the old bed sheet adds texture and swirling muted soft colors. (okay, I don't have the vocabulary to be a GOOD art critic).

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
        the old bed sheet adds texture and swirling muted soft colors.

Yea......uuuuhh, that's exactly what I was going for.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I like the cross. I have been thinking about doing that one too. I wasn't sure about the look of it but it really turned out nice. Did you just enlarge the pattern to create the backer or did the pattern come with one for it? Can't remember and don't feel like rooting through all my old issues.
          Keith

Comment

Beautiful workmanship!
            DeWalt 788

Comment

Martzy,
              here is a tip. Once you cut out the cross or any other project. Take a small flat washer and place a pencil on the inside ring, using the washer trace the outline of the project. You will get a nice uniform shape for a backer. Give it a try.
              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

That is some very nice fretwork. You did a great job on the Nelson clock.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Martzy, I did something similar to what Mike described. The pattern was drawn for the back to be made the same size as the cross, but I wanted that slight offset. The thickness of the material for the cross was only about 1/4", and the spacer needs to ride against that edge, while fitting securely on the pencil. With stock that thin, you literally only have the point stocking out through the spacer. I didn't have a washer that quite worked, but while looking, I stumbled across a little plastic doo-dad, which I was able to adapt for the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                    That is some very nice fretwork. You did a great job on the Nelson clock.

Thanks Rolf. You set the standard pretty high with your cutting for the magazine. I only hope to come close.

Comment

Great work on all the cuttings Bill, and I too like the variations of the wood on the clock.
                      Mark
                      Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Handy little tip Bill and Mike. Maybe I'll submit it to the magazine and win a prize.
                        Keith

Comment

AH Haaaa I see how it is... A tip plagiarist.....LOL
                          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Bill, Beautiful work on all. I Love the wood choices on the clock!
                            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Well it's about time, after 1033 post you finally give us some eye candy.....
                              Thanks for posting your sweeeeeet cuttings, they look great.
                              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X