SKS gunstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKS gunstock

Here are a couple pictures of a gunstock I designed and cut out of 2" hard maple with my old Dremel scrollsaw. I've had people tell me that they needed to get a bandsaw because they were cutting 1" wood and that a scrollsaw wouldn't cut it. Then I show them this gunstock and tell them it was cut with my dremel. It usually changes their mind..lol. My 21" PS Wood Machine scrollsaw and 21" Dewalt scrollsaw both have lots more capacity and power, but I still use the 16" Dremel and 16" Delta saws, because for some things they have some better features for the job at hand. Thought you might like to see som "heavy scrolling".
    Attached Files

Fancy gunstock...nice job
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Cool!

Since it includes a pierced cut, this technically qualifies as fretwork.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Nicely done.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks.....
          These are a challenge to make, but very rewarding too.
          It took outside scrolling, internal cuts and and a lot of drilling, and routing for the inletting of the barrel, reciever,and magazine. I also made use of a dremel and carving knives, and did most of the outside carving with a rotary rasp in a drill. With reference to another post as to, if laser cut could be called handmade. Since I did use a power drill, dremel, electric router, electric sander, and electric scrollsaw would this be considered handmade? I would think so since my hand guided each tool to make each cut, groove and hole. I also used hand carving knives and gouges and hand sanded for finish sanding, as well as all the power tools. Thanks for looking, and I always like your responses for good and ill, they help me to know what I do right , and what I can do to make things better.

Comment

Good looking gun stock.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

WOW, Tinker, that is one nice piece of work. Stop & think a minute, could just anyone do that? No Way. It is hand made in my book. Beautiful wood & nice detail, I'm sure. You know how to use those tools, for sure. Nice Thanks for letting us look.
              PERK

Comment

Nice stock man,i have a SKS but that is way out of my skill level.Well mabe someday.

Comment

Your gun stock looks real comfortable. Nice cutting!
                  -- Rick --

Comment

Turned out great,all the better when it's made by you.
                    Tony

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. You are right about it being better when you make it, because it becomes an extension of you, what you like, and what fits you best. Besides just the satisfaction that you designed something, then made it, and it came out like you wanted it to is nice. That pertains to anything we make no matter what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman4jesus View Post
                        Nice stock man,i have a SKS but that is way out of my skill level.Well mabe someday.
                        It's not really all that hard to do. This was my 1st thumb hole pistol grip stock. To me it wasn't so much a matter of skill, but more a matter of carefully laying out your cut lines and going slow and careful. Especially in cutting the inletting. I was told once that you look at the piece of wood and just remove everything that doesn't belong.
                        If you would like I could scan my stock pattern in sections and email it to you with the dimensions so you could print it out then tape it together and have a pattern to make your own stock with.
                        Last edited by Tinker; 10-02-2011, 05:54 PM. Reason: adding info.

Comment

Anyone in the western states know where I can get some 2" thick hardwood to make some more of these gun stocks. It's really hard to find any good thick hardwood here in southern Idaho. Thanks.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Bruce, the one on probation
                            by will8989
                            is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                            Today, 12:59 AM
                          • will8989
                            Sundays market
                            by will8989
                            When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                            Today, 12:46 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by will8989
                            I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                            Today, 12:27 AM
                          • jim_mex
                            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                            by jim_mex
                            Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                            Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                          • KarlB
                            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                            by KarlB
                            Very well done!

Karl
                            Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                          Working...
                          X