Laminated Collapsible Basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminated Collapsible Basket

(If the picture doesn't come through, someone please tell me how to do it. It's not showing up on the preview, but I'm not sure how it will come out, so I'll give it a try.)

Thought I'd post a picture of my latest basket project. I transitioned from making collapsible baskets on the bandsaw to the scrollsaw for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with a desire to retain all 10 fingers. I also wanted to experiment with using lamination decoratively, not just to use up spare scraps of wood. The basket is walnut and maple, with purpleheart accents. The screws on the side, on which the basket swivels, are plugged with 3/8" plugs of purpleheart. (Real easy to do, and much nicer than countersunk screws.) I used a #7 blade to cut out the basket, and a #12 blade to cut the insert--both to remove it and to do the spiral (3 1/2 degree angle). I find the larger blades are easier to use when the wood is thick and the pattern is not too complicated. I'm trying to get others in the woodshop I belong to interested in scrolling as a "real" tool, not a "girl" tool. Hope you like my basket.

Carole
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Wonderful Job Carole!

I like the use of the lamination. It really ads to the design.

Ah the "girl tool"
    I know there are many who do not consider the scroll saw as a real woodworking tool.
    There are not too many other tools that can cut in the middle of a piece of wood leaving the edges in tact.
    I consider the scrollsaw a safe tool, but not a girl tool
    It is a good tool to cut your teeth on But I think it is a tool that grows with you, You will never reach the limits of what it can do...

Anyway I digress. That is an awesome basket. I haven't done any baskets yet but that intrigues me.

Way to go
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

That's a smashing use of colors and you've got the laminate proportions just right .

'Girl's tool'? There are some morons about...

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Carole, super job, I really like it.
        Your picture came through just fine. Thanks for the picture.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Really nice Carol,

I like the urn silhouette to complement the container (basket)

Your choice of color is also very nice, with the Purpleheart making a nice transition between the Maple and Walnut.

Keep up the good work,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hi Carole, Very nice basket. I have never tried a collapsible basket on my (non tool) saw, but they are very intriqueing. I might put one on my to do list of scrolling.
            It is a difficult thing to get some people (males mostly) to see scrolling as woodworking, and perhaps they are right, scrolling is so much more then mere woodworking. Can you imagine a woodworker trying to make a dome clock without a scroll saw, ain't gonna happen. I have started to refer to my craft as scrolling instead of woodworking, I am a scroller, not a woodworker.
            Thanks for posting the pic
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Thanks for your comments

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging and supportive comments. I've commandeered some shelves in the corner of our woodshop and am adding samples of my work (baskets, 3D puzzles, boxes) to show the range of scrolling possibilities. There are relatively few real woodworkers in our shop--mostly men whose idea of a project consists of plywood bookshelves with butt joints--but I'm catching the interest of some of the more talented members. Since hardly anyone uses lamination decoratively, that's attracted a lot of interest. I'm looking forward to the open house at the end of this month, since I'm entirely self-taught (only at it for 2 months) and have never even seen anyone use a scroll saw. Hope to meet some of you there.

Carole
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X