Contemplating new scroll saw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fretmaster work

This is a clock I made a few years ago. Thanks Mike the picture transfer worked.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, that's pretty nice

--------Randy
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
        I'm using both the Hegner and Ex. You can top feed the Hegner, (and I often do so as I'm not sure how to bottom feed it on large pieces.)
        -------Randy
        Randy, just how do you top feed the Hegner. That is something I would like to learn.
        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Top Feeding a Hegner

Originally posted by ChuckD View Post
          Randy, just how do you top feed the Hegner. That is something I would like to learn.
          Chuck, this is how I do it:

1. Remove the bottom clamp from the holder with the blade still in it.
          2. Turn the work piece upside down
          3. Thread the blade down through the hole in the top (which is now the bottom of the work piece)
          4. Turn the work piece back over and slide the blade through the slot in the table and put the bottom clamp back in place
          5. Then attach/tighten the top clamp as normal

It takes longer to thread the blade through the hole than all the other steps combined.

Because it is faster, I bottom feed the smaller pieces and the holes close to the outside of large pieces. I find it almost impossible to bottom feed center holes on large work pieces. I am positive the long time bottom feeders have some tricks for this (I would love to see watch them do this) but it frustrates the tar out of me trying, so I just use the "quasi" top feed approach I described above. I believe Hegner put the long slot in the table to make this process possible.

Also, when I'm working on super intricate pieces requiring a very small hole, I use the top feeding method so that I can turn the work piece over, and use a curved needle nose to force the blade through. Ever tried to bottom feed a blade that was tight in the hole? I would bend and break blades, then go back to the top feed method.

-------Randy
          Last edited by hotshot; 08-07-2011, 10:38 PM.

Comment

OK, that is the way I do it also. I just never referred to it as "top feeding".
            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

My EX21 is 3 years old. It has hundreds of hrs of use. I have only one thing to say.
              EXCALIBUR RULES..

Sorry couldn't help myself. As you can tell I like my sword...

www.pajarostudiowns.com
              Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
              One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

Another Hegner owner here. I have been using two Hegners for about 12 yrs. and I love both of the saws That saw will do any type of cutting. I have used and owned alot of different saws, and to this point, I am very happy with Hegners.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Just got a spare EX-21. I'm in the middle of a move, so things aren't set up yet. However, I took it out of the shipping box and threw it on a mobile table just to make sure the thing works. Even though it's still bolted to the shipping board and it's not sitting even on the table (some moving junk underneath the board) the vibration is hardly noticeable.

David

David Griffin
                  Tuliptree Craft
                  s

Comment

Hi Mike I didn't know if you saw my answer to your thread. I have used a Fretmaster scroll saw by James Reidel for years. His sight eventually became Wildwood Designs. I don't know if he is still living. I will try to add a picture of the saw. I posted a clock that I had made on an earlier post ,thanks to your instruction on how to add a picture. Thank you for all your kind advice. Styrk
                    Attached Files

Comment

Calling on Pajaro

Originally posted by Pajaro View Post
                      As you can tell I like my sword...
                      Pajaro, I remember seeing a pic of you saw and by looking at table close to the blade, it was pretty obvious your saw has been used extensively. How about posting a new pic?

----Randy

Comment

Top feeding

Originally posted by ChuckD View Post
                        OK, that is the way I do it also. I just never referred to it as "top feeding".
                        It's feeding from the top, but not top feeding in the sense that the Dewalts, Excalibur, and G4s do it. I would like the saw a lot less if there was no slot in the table.

------Randy

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot View Post
                          Pajaro, I remember seeing a pic of you saw and by looking at table close to the blade, it was pretty obvious your saw has been used extensively. How about posting a new pic?

----Randy
                          It has a lot more scars on it now.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                          Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                          One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

About a year ago, I ordered the EX-21. I waited and waited, and after being back ordered for the longest time I gave up the wait. I settled for the Dewalt 788. I love it. This is top of the line, fantastic. You can top feed, or bottom feed just fine. Very low vibration, very quiet. I love how the arm raises up to make fretwork or compound cut blade feeding easier.
                            I think mine cost about $700 new. I have seen them in pawn shows, and used tool places for $250. The only down side is the blade retention screw, They bend overtime, but easily replaced. This is probably due to my own fault of over tightening the screw.

Randy
                            Randy Anderson
                            Intarsia Artist
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Randy, Thanks for the advice. I have gotten several different views. I went to your web site. wow! nice work. Thanks again for taking the time to leave advice. Styrk

Comment

Randy A, I dropped by your site too and your work is awesome, really really awesome. Some of that wow comes from practice I'm sure, but there is a lot of talent there besides . . . . . unbelievable

For the Marine emblem, was that a purchased pattern or your own design? It's the best version of that emblem I've ever seen.

--------Randy
                                Last edited by hotshot; 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by will8989
                                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                  Today, 10:53 PM
                                • garryatpa
                                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                  by garryatpa
                                  Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                                  Today, 10:43 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by meflick
                                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                  Today, 01:10 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by meflick
                                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                  Today, 01:04 PM
                                • John Smith
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by John Smith
                                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                  Today, 10:01 AM
                                Working...
                                X