No announcement yet.

Disposal of wood chips/sawdust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spread my shavings on fields or in my woods. Large chips do work well for animal bedding too! (just not walnut)

Comment

Dan, I also live in So.Cal. and when I put my sawdust and scraps in the green can they refused to dump it. I argued that it recycleable but I got nowhere. I have heard about people giving sawdust to auto shops for dry sweep to clean up oil.

Comment

Originally posted by towdude3 View Post
        Dan, I also live in So.Cal. and when I put my sawdust and scraps in the green can they refused to dump it. I argued that it recycleable but I got nowhere. I have heard about people giving sawdust to auto shops for dry sweep to clean up oil.
        That's strange towdude. I put all my wood scraps and saw dust in the green waste bin. I did a lot of yard cleanup this summer, and made several trips to the dump. Discarded wood such as fencing and pallets where all dumped with the green waste. The stuff gets composted then sold to the company's that sell topsoil. I guess different County's do things differently.
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I think some cities are not up to speed on this. I was also told by a local city that wood was not recycleable. I referred them to the 1000's of internet sites that recycle wood and got pretty much the same response I got from Waste Management. I have been throwing my sawdust and scraps in the regular trash. Maybe someone needs to open a wood recycling plant locally.

Comment

Since I don't live too far from Joel,our county also has a spot at the dump for recycleable wood. You can even take out logs that someone has tossed if you need them. If you use them for bedding for animals, NO blackwalnut for horses. There's something in the wood that will kill the horse. And don't, don't don't use the sawdust for bedding for flower gardens. One it kills the plants and two if someone tosses in a cigarette and it's near the house - POOF!!
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

The problem with raw sawdust is that as it decomposes, the organisms remove nitrogen from the soil. However, once composted, the nitrogen is released back into the material. I've had real good luck using it to break down the thick, clay soils in OH & IN. Makes the soil more "loamy". I've heard you can get around the nitrogen problem by adding in fertilizer into the mix.

David

David Griffin
              Tuliptree Craft
              s

Comment

FOr what it is worth.

I have blended it (sawdust) in with the mulch in my flower beds. Although I probably am not talking about the volume you have.

Comment

I don't generate bags of planer shavings but what I do collect, I put in a pan and pour melted wax over it. Makes great fire starters for the fireplace or fire pit. If I make more than I can use, I give them away throughout the winter.

BTW, where are you in Kentucky? I'm in Independence.
                  Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

We're in Cecilia (near E-Town, near Ft Knox). Oh, and also Beavercreek, OH. And Pendleton, IN. And finally Bogue Chitto, MS. We tend to collect house .... want one?

Jenny is on a 1-year tour at Ft. Knox. She graduated from seminary near Pendleton. I retired from the AF in OH. And HOME is Bogue Chitto

David

David Griffin
                    Tuliptree Craft
                    s

Comment

It is called Biomass in England and the County send it to a Power Station in Southampton Docks , The Power company pays the County,. it helps keep the local taxes down . Do you have a friends locally that have house that is heated by Wood Burning Stove ? SAM.

Comment

grateful recycler is any small garage

Any small garage would be grateful for your sawdust and planer shavings for use as oil dry to sop up any spills ,from radiator to tranny ,saves them money
                        they all have spills If you have the ammount you speak of you might be able to trade for some service discounts.
                        my best to you !
                        Carl
                        When he is done with it, he will dispose of it! oil dry in not cheap!
                        "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                        Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Update: Found out the next door neighbor--well actually the next-door neighbor is a family of cows, so that would be the next-next door neighbor --burns wood, so we traded a bag of sassafras, redheart & ziricote scraps for some sweet corn. Thanks for all the ideas!

David

David Griffin
                          Tuliptree Craft
                          s

Comment

now that's a real deal!!!!
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X