Plexiglass snowflake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass snowflake.

I found some white 1/8" plexiglass and decided to play around with it. It cuts real nice and I think it's quite purty. I spray painted a small piece for the backer and rushed thru the job so it's not my best cutting. I was just kind of anxious to see how white on black would look. I like the results. Actually, the snowflake would look nice without a backer. Just think of the color combinations a person could use for Christmas ornaments. Also, no finishing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-08-2006, 07:53 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Was that cut with a spiral??????????? Try a FD Polar blade, it will cut much cleaner. The color combo looks ok, but I would prefer that with no backer, unless you are making snowflake coasters with them. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Mike , I thought those were nice but we have heard it from the master. I feel better dont' you. I thought you did good with the plexie

Comment

That looks great, Mike . Are you going to divulge the details of how to cut plexi?

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill, thanks for the compliment but it doesn't look great. It is kinda purty, though. I drilled larger than normal holes and rushed thru the cutting because I was anxious to see how it would look cut out of plexi. I just used a #2 skiptooth blade and set the speed of the saw between slow and medium and it cut just like plywood. However, the sawdust (plexidust) doesn't blow away as easy so at times the line was a little hard to see. I may add my aquarium blower next time. If I can find an outlet I may cut a bunch out of plexi and BB and see which sells better. I'm thinking the plexi ones will. I would leave off the black backer though.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by minowevie
            Mike , I thought those were nice but we have heard it from the master. I feel better dont' you. I thought you did good with the plexie
            Evie dear.... I Do hope you werent sarcastically refering to me as a master. I am in no way a master, and never claim to be one.I AM honest though, and give my opinion.If it was taken as an insult, I apologize Mike, that wasnt my intent. Now, go get that acrylic we talked about and make us a blizzard!!! Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Shoot Dale, I don't insult that easily, After all, that's Bearfret's job. I do like honesty, though. Like I mentioned, I know I didn't cut it that well but didn't realize how sloppy it was until I enlarged it on the screen. I promise, my next snowflakes will do me proud.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                Shoot Dale, I don't insult that easily, After all, that's Bearfret's job.
                What'd I do????????

I also "speed" cut simple new-to-me patterns just to get an idea of how they look and what to use when I STACK cut them for "real".

I'm hurt ......wounded ...............crushed .............not!
                ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Ouch. Me too Barry. I guess i just don't know how to say things right some time. but then. I do wont to tell you. I just love you guys to death.

Comment

plexi cutting

Well, as I said before I am far from perfect. We talked about plexi cutting, and acrylic mirror and all that, and I had some free time on Sunday, so I grabbed a couple small pieces of plexi , stacked em, attached a fairly simple pattern on them, and headed to big yella.I used a number 5 FD Polar blade.One thing to know then scrolling acrylic is keep the tension super tight. if the blade is the slightest bit loose and starts barrel cutting in the acry. it heats the stuff up pretty fast, causing it to fuse itself back together behind the blade. Also, especially when you try tackling the mirrored acrylic, if you have a little oops following the line, for some reason that spot is magnified by the mirror to your eye. A spot that isnt really very noticeable on wood, or even a solid color acrylic, sticks out like a sore thumb on the mirrored. Anyways, I stacked two layers of the mirror acrylic, and one layer of white acrylic (didnt take note of the brands), and I put a layer of masking tape on each layer.1/8th thick each layer.
                    Now, before I try posting the picture, I need to apologize to Mike.Your snowflake probably looks much nicer in person then it does in the photo,and perhaps I was out of place saying what I did.Im sorry. I had a hard time getting a decent photo of mine to post. If I can make it post for me, you will see I am far from a master scroller. One thing that is misleading in the photos is the points, they actually all turned out great, but theres one of the long straight cuts thats way out of whack, and if I could photo the mirror better, you would see about it magnifying a oops.
                    Well, time for me to cuss this thing when it wont let me post a picture... wish me luck! Dale
                    edit:WOOHOO, Posted pics on the first try!!! And Oh My God, now they even look horribler in the photo!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by lucky788scroller; 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM.
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Gosh, Dale,
                      Maybe my monitor is just too tiny to see your boo-boos - they look pretty snazzy to me.
                      Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Skilled Scroller & Photographer
                        Posted pics on the first try!!! And Oh My God, now they even look horribler in the photo!
                        Stop being such a wuss ! They look delightful .

One day I'm going to try this myself. Thanks for telling us all about it.

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gee Dale, are you sure you didn't put in a spiral blade by mistake? Just kidding of course. No apology necessary. These buggers are a challenge to photograph properly. As far as I can tell, yours look great. I'm anxiously awaiting my clear mirror and gold mirror I ordered off Ebay. I dropped off a few white ones at my church today. The gal in charge of the youth groups is having their monthly meeting tonite and she is going to show them for a possible fundraising idea. I also dropped off a portrait of Jesus and the plaque idea that Griz posted a few weeks ago. I cut one out of BB and one out of cedar for outdoor use. The girl thought they were all awesome so I'll find out tomorrow what everyone else thinks.
                          Mike

Comment

Mike :Cool, Congrats on finding some acrylic. Pictures can be very decieving indeed.I should drop one of these in the mail to you to actually see the excessive crookedness (is that a word Evie?) of the one line, and how the mirror amplifies it.
                            Sandy : I think monitors are on sale, by all means get a bigger one, obviously you must be using a small one!
                            Gill : A wuss huh? Well, I'll take that, you could have said worse. And, THANK YOU!! (the original poster of the quote did not have that title though, I'm telling the Mods!)
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale, those are very nice, indeed. and I can't see any boo boos eather. except the middale one on the bottom. I really love the tip on putting the tape on all pieces. I wouldn't have thought of that. and for just practicing. those are some pretty small stars. you say they are mirrored plexie. how cool. I bet they look great in person. on a xmas tree, I bet they would just sparkale. wondering. do you think you could glue 2 back to back, for a mobile? and what kind of glue would you use. I would like to do a project. with some wood fretwork. and glue a piece of colored plexie inbetween two cutouts. stained glass effect thing. thanks for the impho. Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X