A Full Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Full Buggy

Here it is:....,my 499th full-sized puzzle cut over the past 12 years. This one is 333 pieces, cut from 1/4" 3-ply poplar, and is about 12 x 14". I've flipped the picture of the back so you can easily relate the pieces to the picture of the front.

I welcome questions or the opportunity to help others do this kind of freehand puzzle cutting.

Have phun......Carter

Last edited by Carter-Johnson; 09-08-2006, 12:30 PM.

As usual, you rock!

Congrats on the upcoming milestone, and this is another nice subject you chose.

How are you going to celebrate the 500th?
    It definitely needs to be a special one. (An Over the Hedge poster?)

Respectfully,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Here it is:....,my 499th full-sized puzzle cut over the past 12 years. This one is 333 pieces, cut from 1/4" 3-ply poplar, and is about 12 x 14". I've flipped the picture of the back so you can easily relate the pieces to the picture of the front

Wow. 499th puzzle. and 12x14...... thats a great puzzle... wondering. do you cut the whole puzzle at once? in that size. or do you cut it up to smaller sizes? looking forward to your #500. Evie

Comment

Thanks. Evie.....I just start at the upper right corner. I cut one piece at a time from the full picture (my DeWalt has a 20" throat). I cut maybe 30 to 40 pieces at a time, stop, sand the backs and put them together. The process takes perhaps 20 minutes or so. I do this a few times each day and, lo and behold, after about six days and a total of a little over six hours, a puzzle is finished.

I then sand the whole back while together, take it apart, count the pieces and take it upstairs to my wife to put together. When she's done, it then gets shuttled to two local couples who, in turn, assemble it. After that it becomes part of my 350+-puzzle lending library. I have perhaps ten families around the country who enjoy doing them.

I decided long ago not to sell my puzzles. If I had decided otherwise, they would bring over $1 per puzzle piece. Someone on this forum was figuring hourly wages for scrollsaw work. With puzzle making that rate can be pretty good.

Carter

Comment

Another beauty, Carter! I'm looking forward to your #500 as well...

Pete

Comment

Your puzzles are always amazing! Thanks for sharing #499....can't wait to see #500!!!
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by will8989
              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
              Today, 09:53 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by will8989
              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
              Today, 09:49 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
              Today, 09:32 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Sundays market
              by will8989
              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
              Today, 08:56 PM
            • Jim McDonald
              Reply to Interesting pallet
              by Jim McDonald
              I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
              But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
              Today, 08:17 PM
            Working...
            X