a question of ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question of ethics

I have a question concerning the photo gallery I have given out the address to the gallery to several of my friends and clients and it dawned on me last night that I might need permissions to do this especially if they see someone elses work they would like, so what is the policy if any ?
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

I would say. this Is a public forum. and it is posted in the SSW&C magazine. anyone can come here and join. and look at the gallery. does this help. I would also say. thank you for letting your friends , family, and customers,know of this forum. we could always welcome new friends, Evie

but then i am only a member. not a athority.

Comment

You are absolutely correct Evie, this is public.
      You do not need to be a member to view.
      Look at all those Yahoo bots searching on the forum every day
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

ok kewl thanks folks I just wanted to make absolutly sure
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Perhaps this belongs elsewhere on the forum, but I have an ethics question. I know its not right to talk about the other magazine on here, but is it ethically right to post pictures of work scrolled from a pattern published in the othermagazine, especially if its a recent issues project? What makes one ok, but not the other? Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
            Perhaps this belongs elsewhere on the forum, but I have an ethics question. I know its not right to talk about the other magazine on here, but is it ethically right to post pictures of work scrolled from a pattern published in the othermagazine, especially if its a recent issues project? What makes one ok, but not the other? Dale
            Im not sure what you are refuering to Dale. we post lots of pictures, that we have cut not only from SSW&C but are own designs but others. does this meen we can't post pictures from the patterns we bought. but only from here.??? gosh. I guess I will just have to only post what is here on the SSW&C. and nothing else. and does this meen , I can't post any empho, I have leared from some where else.??? so much for home depot. and louhs. and Woodcrafts sorry Kevin. you can't post anymore of your great patterns. daaaa or JF

Comment

It can be difficult to understand what's appropriate and what isn't, but think of it in terms of how you would feel if you were a bar tender and a customer started proclaiming how wonderful the beer and company was at a bar down the road. Eventually, you'd get irritated and say, "If you like that other place so much, why are you here?" There's a certain point where talking about a rival bar would become an abuse of hospitality.

By the same token, any bar tender knows that from time to time customers will turn to him and say, "Have you heard about what's happening at the bar down the road?" and he'd be churlish to object to the conversation.

As with drinking in a bar, it's a matter of good manners. So long as discretion is maintained, nobody will object to activities relating to a rival publication being discussed. If, however, someone is thought to be opening a doorway into that rival publication, it's only natural that our host will stop them. Opinions as to what constitutes such a doorway will no doubt vary according to individuals, so the best advice is to try to be discrete and not refer to the rival openly. By all means post pictures of projects from elsewhere, but be tactful if you feel the need to describe their origin.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone or lay down the law - I recognise that it can be difficult knowing exactly what's appropriate and what isn't. I'm just trying to offer my own perspective; which seems to be based around bar activity .

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Just plain good manners

Hi,

What Gill said was a pretty good analogy.

What is requested is that you don't name a direct competitor to Fox Chapel Publishing.

RULE #1: You can say " a competitor", "the other magazine" or "another magazine", but don't name them by name.

Why not? Because naming them is doing them publicity, and well... Understandably, Fox Chapel doesn't like that; Fox Chapel, not the competitor, pays for this site, it's bandwidth and it's maintenance (and it's not cheap, I know) .

As to posting pictures made from patterns from the competitor, no problem just respect rule #1, If the patterns are from other sources (such as Wildwood designs) you can name them.

If you hear of a good deal, or you know a source for an item discussed
                You CAN mention suppliers, and you CAN post a link to them, while respecting rule #1.
                BUT:
                You CAN NOT self-advertise.
                If the management feels that a "fake" thread is started just to advertise a product or site: it will be deleted, and there could be consequences for the responsible poster(s).

You CAN put a link to your website in your signature, and it would be expected courtesy that you put a link to this website on yours.
                BUT:
                You CAN NOT turn your signature into an ad

In other words, use good judgment:
                • Fox Chapel pays for the bandwidth we are privileged to use, don't advertise the direct competitor(s).
                • If you have a product to sell, they have good rates for approved advertisements.
                • This is a discussion forum, it is expected that we share information about techniques and supplies used, including those from suppliers that don't advertise in the publications. Naming them is OK, just don't spam the site and respect rule #1.
                And if in doubt, PM BobD or a moderator, or refer to the message board bill of rights

It all comes down to one simple thing: Be respectfull

Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hmmmm I guess i owe SSW&C a appolagy. for I named the other magazine in a answer to where i recived a pattern yesterday, I guess what i should have done was send a private mess to the person who ask about it. sorry. I will remmber it next time. please fell free to delete that message. Evie

Comment

I have posted a picture or 2 where the pattern came from another magazine.
                    The information I gave with the cutting gave the name of the artist not the magazine. This way you give the credit where it is due. Most of us get several magazines and have multiple sources of patterns. If I know who the artist is, that is where the credit goes. If I don't I will PM the source.

PS For the record SSW IS my favorite. They tend to publish more articles and patterns that appeal to my taste.
                    Last edited by Rolf; 09-09-2006, 04:10 PM.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Daryl185:

It has take me a while to decide if I should respond to your original question, but I decided to respond with a short (!!) version of my tale.

Quite a while ago I made a puzzle out of CorianĀ® (or Niaroc since the material was most likely not from DuPont.) The horse is normally viewable in the Scroller Galleries, Most Popular section.

It worked like this, soon after I posted my CorianĀ® horse, if someone used Google search engine, and clicked above the query box the "Image" link and entered Corian for the query, then my Horse image would appear on the first page of results. As these things go, quickly my Corian horse was was dropped down in the list of images that appeared as a result of a Google query on 'Corian'. I went from Page 1 to Page 33 and then I dropped down to Page "nobody goes that far down!" and then off. Today, only if you Google for the Image with the query " Corian Horse" will my horse appear.

I will avoid discussing the emotional roller coaster I went thru having my 1st try at using Corian appear on page 1 of a Google search, and then drop quickly off to oblivion.

If you post a picture to the Scroller Galleries, and you phrase you posting in a unique way, your posting too can, and just might, make it to a Google query under the Images link. One of our members did a very complex chess set that also made it to Google Images as Chess and Checkers set. At least for a while.

You cannot stop Google search engine from finding and listing any image from the Scroller Galleries as a response to a query. Go ahead, try a few. Query for 'Lucky788scroller' (that 1st image may NOT be Dale!), or "CanadianScroller", or something.

So, your question about telling someone about this site, and having them visit as a guest to look thru our bragging; Well if Google.com and ask.com can do it why not them?

BTW: it is just a person choice, not meant to affect anyone else, just a personal choice, I haven't posted another project in the Scroller Galleries after that one posting. And if I ever do, I will label it something bland and nondescript. A label that most likely won't be used as a search query. I don't need another emotional roller-coster ride like that again.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by minowevie
                        Im not sure what you are refuering to Dale. we post lots of pictures, that we have cut not only from SSW&C but are own designs but others. does this meen we can't post pictures from the patterns we bought. but only from here.??? gosh. I guess I will just have to only post what is here on the SSW&C. and nothing else. and does this meen , I can't post any empho, I have leared from some where else.??? so much for home depot. and louhs. and Woodcrafts sorry Kevin. you can't post anymore of your great patterns. daaaa or JF
                        Evie ..What I was referring to is just generic posting of scrolled items that the pattern was distributed through the "other" magazine. I dont give a rats 4$$ either way, I just notice it often and was curious where the parole board stood on this issue.I made no mention about patterns bought, stolen, or illigitametly acquired from anywhere other then the "other" magazine.I enjoy seeing everyones work just like you and everyone else does, and as for Kevins patterns, of course I like seeing his work, and hope to continue seeing it on here, as well as Sues, Carls, Bills, and everyone elses. Perhaps I didnt make it clear enough, I'm sorry if I confused you Evie.
                        Thanks yall for giving me your thoughts on that. Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                          I like the fact...
                          Today, 08:34 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                          Today, 08:17 AM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                          Today, 08:17 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by Rolf
                          Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                          Today, 08:10 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Supermax
                          by NC Scroller
                          Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                          Today, 08:00 AM
                        Working...
                        X