Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd request

Hi Y'all,

I just got an odd request from a lady looking at my portraits. She loved them and would like something like a portrait to use as a tombstone for her dearly departed poodle. Of course, the BB ply with the black paper and luann backer wouldn't hold up for more than a day outside. Any of you intelligent scrollers got any ideas? Much obliged, as usual.

Hmmm. Could open up a whole new market.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

I have had issues before with outdoor projects.

I have never used Corian before but I know that would hold up. From what I understand it is hard as rock to cut, but Like I said I have never done it.

You could try Plexiglas it comes in various colors.

I have cut polystyrene and it has similar characteristics to plexi when cutting.

Aluminum....but not traffic signs!

oops strike all the above. I just saw you asking intelligent, not wise *** scrollers.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Corian is hard and durable, but dont be scared to cut it. It cuts nicely with the right blade. I use a FD-Polar blade and it cut great. Give Mike a holler and he might send you a blade to try. Check with cabinet shops for a few sink cutouts of corian, you may be able to get them reasonable.If you cant find any, I will check to see if I still have any of the stone looking colors hereif you decide to use it. One other nice thing is they come in colors that resemble stone, so I think corian is a perfect choice! Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I agree with Dale, Corian is not bad to cut at all. I use Polar blades as well. turn the speed down to medium, tape both sides and go. Cuts like butter - melts like butter if you get it too hot (DAMHIKT). If you can't find what you are looking for locally or from Dale, let me know. I've got a piece of 1/2" Corian that looks like gravel and connections with a cabinet shop. Shipping may be expensive, but I'm thinking you are NOT looking for a huge piece....

Also, if you go the wood route, think Cypress. It weather's well and is easy to cut. You could cut your pattern on a thin piece, then paint another thin pice and glue up for a backer. There are many more exotics, such as ipe, that also weather well, but are a "bear" to cut.

Sounds like a nice compliment to your work, Mike!
        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Source for Corian:

Initially I was thinking plexiglass or maybe a wood that will hold up fairly well in the weather (not much experience with wood outside except fences), but Corian has got to be the best idea yet. I found a link somewhere a while back to get some free info on using Corian. They sent me a color brochure with some sample pictures, a couple of project ideas and kits they sell, and another pamphlet explaining how simple it is to work with Corian using various tools, including saws, routers, sanders. Here is the link where I found this info. I hope this helps.

http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/

If I am in violation with this link then please delete it with no hard feelings. I'm just trying to share info and sources of materials. I am in no way affiliated with this company. In fact, I haven't even ordered any Corian myself as of yet.
          Jim
          DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Jim,
            Thanks a ton for that link. I can't tell you how long I've searched for Corian.
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Ok guys, if a person was to go with this high priced corian, what would a person do for a backer. Remember, this is to look like a portrait with internal cuts. Do you think a person could glue black plexiglass to the back? Cypress sounds like a much less expensive way to go. Does anybody have a source for 1/4" cypress?

Thanks all.

I just called out local cabinet shop and they always give the excess corian to the customer in case a repair job comes up. They did have a piece about 4" X 12" laying around but that would make an awful small tombstone.
              Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM.
              Mike

Comment

You could use a separate piece of corian for the backer, or plexi, whatever you have handy.

Ithe problem with using wood for an outdoor portrait would be moisture collecting in the fine lines It has much more surface area to rot.

You could still use wood and fill the negative space with a two part poly but that wouldnt have quite the same effect.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

With corian costing about $25 a sq. ft., you sure wouldn't want to use it for the backer too. You'd have $50 just into the material.

Has anyone had any experience cutting plexiglass? This may be the way to go if you want to get by inexpensively. I could cut it out of white (white poodle) and use black plexi for the backer. How does it cut and what blade works best?

Thanks again

I just checked prices on plexiglass and our local glass center charges $13 a sq. ft. and Sloan's has it for $15 for 2 sq. ft. I also checked out sign shop and if I could use a 4 X 8 sheet, it would figure out to about $3 a sq. ft. This is for 1/4". I would probably cut it out of 1/4" and use 1/8" for the backer.
                  Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-08-2006, 10:36 AM.
                  Mike

Comment

Unless someone comes up with a better and fairly inexpensive idea I'll probably try the plexiglass. I found a piece about 4" wide out in my garage and gave it a whirl. I slowed the blade down and it cut just like plywood. This piece was 1/8" thick so I'm sure if I go to 1/4" it will slow things down a bit. It does cut nice with the #2 reverse tooth but I would probably use a skip tooth instead. It'll probalby cut cleaner. I'm thinking white and black may look kinda cool.
                    Mike

Comment

I am thinking out loud here MNScroller so please don't take the following as a "slam" - I repsect and admire yor work and am honestly trying to help (so don't sick Gill on me especially now that she's teamed up with Sharon!) .......

A project for outdoor use needs to withstand the elements AND last. It must weather well, not discolor, not blow away in the midwest wind or rot in the midwest rain. It will be covered with snow off and on thru-out the winter. It needs to "emerge" from the snow in good condition. A tombstone must last for A LONG TIME. If you go the plexi route, make sure the material you use is rated for OUTDOOR use. If you use the cheap indoor stuff that works just fine in a constant, pleasant environment, your client may be disappointed by next spring.

A custom order for this special purpose demands the best materials. With the best materials comes a premium price - to cover not only your expenses and time, but your reputation. I personally wouldn't bid any less than $100 on a project like this, probably more. Look back in old posts and look at the horse sign Marcel designed and produced - $250 Canadian I believe....and that was a HANGING sign, not a planted sign......

BTW, Have you given any thought as to how you will anchor it into the ground? - so it is not knocked over, blown away, etc....

Again, this is just freee advice, not meant as a slam, take it or leave it...
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

HI Mike. i don't have a link for you. but I go to a used motorhome parts store for my corian. you could do a search in your area. for it. mine has lots of used, counter tops. not to mention tons of other producks. its a big junck yard for sure. just a thought,. Evie

Comment

You could also use clear plexi and spray the back of it with paint.

If you were lazy...and I know I will be thrown out of the forum for this suggestion.......
                          Cut out the portrait with an xacto knife. Peel it off, paint it black.
                          Peel off the rest of the paper and paint that white.
                          All done from the back so you have clear plexi up front.

Carl, Hiding under a rock incase of the fall out.
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl who would ever throw you out?? NOT ME.... the only thing i would have a problem with plexie glass would be scratching. wind and all. but i wonder.. old thing here. what about fiber glass resson. painting it on the wood cutouts. it works on botes. i am still on the fiber glass thing. Evie

Comment

Barry, I know you would never purposefully slam me, you do it often enough accidentally.

All kidding aside, I didn't realize there was a difference in qulaity of plexiglass. I suppose the colors could fade. How about this. Buy clear plexi and use a good outdoor paint on it. It does take paint very well. Also, if it blows away, it's not my fault. That may mean repeat business.

I do know no one in this neck of the woods would pay $100 for a tombstone for their pet. I don't think they would pay that much for their significant other. I'll check out the sources for the plexiglass and get more details.
                              Thanks for the free advice.

Evie, we don't have such a thing as junk yards in these parts anymore. Thanks for the tip anyway.
                              Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X