Learned something new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learned something new

I ordered some FD blades from Mike and finally had a chance recently to put them to use. I ordered the assortment pack as I still haven't gotten this blade thingy straight and I had never tried the FD blades.

Must say WOW. It's like cutting through buttah. I was working on some 1/4" BB plywood. I must say the blades do make a HUGE difference. I know everyone has their own blade preference and I respect that but FD blades will definitely be my blade of choice in the future. I must say I was skeptical of all the folks that talked about them, but now I know.

But the biggest thing I learned was to do the INTERNAL cuts first. I've never really done anything with internal cuts. I'm more into the large pieces to cut out and paint. But I wanted to do something for my neice and nephew with their names. So stoopid me cut the outside of the letters, then proceed to cut the inside.

I was using a "Disney" style font I found on the net. It's a really cool font but not a real thick font, so needless to say some of those final cuts were definitely a little tricky. Learned my lesson.
    Kelly
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Heh, heh. That is how most of us learn, the hard way. As far as blades go, I ran into the same situation the first time I tried Pegas blades. I was actually anxious for the first one to go dull. It seemed to take forever. I have learned to control them. It all takes practice and if we didn't make mistakes, we probably wouldn't learn much. Mistakes toughen us up to prepare us for new challenges.

By the way, we do like show and tell. We'll be watching out for your letters.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
      It is so cute (Christmas deer)
      by alexscrollsaw
      "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
      Today, 02:03 PM
    • markdavd
      Reply to Shrink wrap systems
      by markdavd
      I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
      Today, 09:45 AM
    • NC Scroller
      by NC Scroller
      My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
      Today, 07:42 AM
    • will8989
      by will8989
      None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
      Today, 12:20 AM
    • Linda In Phoenix
      by Linda In Phoenix
      What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
      The bags seem easier on the surface.
      But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
      Yesterday, 03:24 PM
    Working...
    X