Compound Cut Christmas Decoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Cut Christmas Decoration

Here's my first ever compound cut . It's from a pattern in another magazine, cut from ash, and measures approximately 2 3/4" (7 cm) high. One coat of Danish oil has been applied and it'll get another in a couple of days.

This was great fun to cut, although it took a lot longer than I'd anticipated. The aim is to cut lots more so that by Christmas I'll be able to decorate a tree with them.

Gill
    Attached Files
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

How hard was the ash to cut?
    Gill if you go into photo shop and brush out the the string it would appear that you a magic ornament that floats in the sky
    I like your backdrop. Compound cutting can be very! addictive especially when you start to do some of Diana Thopmsons more humorous creatures.
    I will have to post a pic of one of my favorites when I get home.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Looks Great Gill
      Charlie
      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Great job Gill....even more impressive that you were nuts enough to cut it out of ash!
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

that is amazing Gill curious did you cut that from a block of ash I would be interested in how you did that
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Gill, you did a great job on your 3D ornament.
            I started cutting a few today, but mine are from pine, your's would be harder to cut.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Gill,
              Great job cutting that baby out of ash!
              I cut them, but usually out of the basswood that is too hard to carve - the stuff where the grain shows (makes for much more interesting ornaments, but a b**** to carve). Your ash is really beautiful!
              You also have a heap of designer kindling wood, right? Sometimes I fill up 5 gallon buckets with the cute little stuff.
              Warning : Compound cutting is also highly addictive! Take proper precautions! (Whatever those are.)
              Sandy

Comment

That is one fine piece of ash. The cutting of it is superb as well!
                ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Gill now that looks like fun. I was thinking of trying those myself. to bad you can't stack cut those huh. mmmm or can you?? Nice work for sure. Evie

Comment

Gill, that's a fine compound cut ornament, I hope you enjoyed compound cutting. I find compound cutting the most interesting, it's the one style of scrolling that people who don't scroll can't figure out. Diana Thompson has a wonderful book of Compound Christmas Ornaments available through Fox Chapel.
                    Thanks for sharing
                    Marsha
                    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Awesome job Gill!
                      I have the same one ready to cut out when I get the time. I think it looks great and looking forward to cutting now. I am going to try one in purpleheart for my daughter and grand-daughter. They want me to start a yearly ornament collection for her now. Are you going to try more in the set? Thanks for sharing!!

Tim
                      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
                        you were nuts enough to cut it out of ash!
                        Nuts?! A scroller who rarely looks at a project with fewer than 500 cuts has the nerve to call someone who produces a project with 5 cuts nuts?!

I know what you mean, Kevin - that ash was hard work. I consoled myself with the knowledge that its toughness means it's more likely to survive being thrown into the loft with the other decorations on Twelfth Night.

How interesting that the name Diana Thompson should have been raised more than once in this thread. The pattern is, indeed, one of hers.

Sandy - if you lived a bit closer, you could have my offcuts. We're not supposed to burn wood over here and just about everyone uses natural gas (which has doubled in price over the last 3 years) for heating. My offcuts will probably end up getting added to the compost heap, unless I risk experimenting with them to cold smoke some meat.

Daryl - next time I cut another ornament, I'll post pictures to take you through the process step by step. However, I suspect that Marsha's the real compound cutting expert in these parts but she's being polite and keeping her light under a bushel.

I'm pleased so many people seem to like this project. Thank you all for your kind comments. It really is quite simple and even a novice should be able to get quite spectacular results. However, Diana Thompson used sugar pine for her work, not ash - that shows up the difference between an experienced compound cutter and a diletante like me .

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Great job Gill, I havent done much compound cutting I could never find a source of cutting compound.
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Here are some more Diana compound cuts, just for fun. I love this guy, I crack up every time I look at it.
                            Painting iwas a kick.
                            Four Goonies and a dear.
                            Attached Files
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Awwwww... cute !

Is it hot where you are, Rolf? Some of those Goonie birds seem to be rather under-dressed for the occassion.

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X