Two more per request - failing blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more per request - failing blower

All went well until halfway thru my horses my blower quit blowing on my Dremel 1680. It's not easy scrolling and blowing at the same time. I then went out to my garage and found an old aquarium pump and taped the tubing from the pump to the blower nozzle of the saw and it worked fine. Oddly enough, the Dremel blower started working again about 15 minutes later. It quit working for me once before too and I just ignored it and it started right back up again. Strange. When cutting blades of grass you can't afford any sawdust in the way.
    Attached Files
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Hi Mike,

VERY nice work.

The aquarium motor makes an ideal replacement for the original blower, and is suggested as such in many scrollsaw books.

With a long tube and a "box" on top of the motor I suppose the noise level would be acceptable

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Excellent work there Mike

Charlie,
      Charlie
      "Everything Happens for a Reason"
      Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Awesome job Mike. You are puttin us all to shame!
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Wow! NICE WORK!!!!! I hope you sold those for more that 5 bucks , unless they were whitetail bucks!!

Is the "blower" failing (its usually a simple rubber bellows type "pump" that the bottom arm "pumps" on its downstroke) or is your hose clogging?? Blow the hose out with compressed air, or take a really deep breath....Your bellows may be full of dust.....
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Mike I just love the job you did on the horses may I ask what type of wood did you use, what are the diminsions and from what source did you get the pattern TIA

Daryl
            Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Hi Mike, very very nice work, they are both gorgeous.
              Keep up the good work, pretty soon you will be doing this for a living. LOL
              Marsha
              LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Barry, I pulled the hose off and put my hand up to the hole in the side of the saw and felt no air movement at all. Like I mentioned, it's working fine now but when I get my air compressor back from my son in law, I will try the compressed air into the saw. Thanks for the advice. And yes, I will get more than $5 each.

Daryl, thanks for the compliment. I use 1/4" BB plywood for pretty much all my portaits. The measurements are around 7" X 9". I get the majority of my patterns from either Free Scrollsaw Patterns or Absolutely Free Scrollsaw Patterns. These are 2 free sites that are MSN groups that annoyingly you have to join.

Marsha, I could only wish. Thanks much.

Also, thanks Charlie and Carl. I have learned from the best.
                Mike

Comment

Very nice on both patterns Mike! Curious are you stack cutting these projects? I'd think both would do well.

Good luck on your Thursday nite sidewalk sale!
                  Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Mike,
                    Nice work sir I really like the horses !
                    Good job !

I had a 1680 and everything quit working! Worked one day, dead the next Got my dw788 and now the 1680 just stubs my toe from time to time
                    ...~Robert~
                    DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Mike i also think your work is nice. i love the horse one too. and the clown seems to be showing your frustration, on the air thing looks like you nocked this one out . or i meen these. Evie

Comment

Hey Sawduster

First, I like the sir part. I don't get called that too often. Second. How long did you have your Dremel before it puked? Did you oil it periodically? The Dewalt gets more tempting all the time. Amazon.com has them for for $420 right now with free shipping. They also have $25 off right now on all power tools. Sounds like a pretty good deal, but it's still a little more than chump change.
                        Mike

Comment

My Dremel did the same thing to me (locked up) here is a link http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6649 to that thread if your interested. I feel my problem was user error, I failed to oil it. The manual says every 50 hours of use. I blew it big time! But then again I got a Dewalt now....
                          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Mike,
                            As for the sir thing...what can i say? i had home-raisin'

I inherited the Dremel when I convinced The Shop Widow to spend the rest of her life with me. It was her late husbands and still in the box but a couple of years old . I used it for about 4 months, mostly on the weekends and yes, I did oil the bearings. It could be as simple as a switch ....never tore into it. By then I was hooked and it was easy to justify the 788. Gotta tell ya man that saw changed my life and the quality of my work ! If you can afford it without having to eat beans and peanut butter for a month, in my opinion ya can't go wrong. I bought the stand that goes with it as well and I am very happy. The ease of the blade change alone lowered my rookie frustration level by a noticeable margin. some folks also purchase a lifting arm for it but I have found that a piece of 2 x 4 on edge fits perfectly at the back. I hear there are a lot of problems lately with a less-than-flat deck so I would be careful in that regard
                            Just my ( rookie ) 2 cents
                            ...~Robert~
                            DW788 and Hawk 226

Comment

Bill,
                              My doesn't hum, grunt or anything....it just died
                              of course, as you said ...now I have the Dewalt
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X