What Dust Masks do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Dust Masks do you use?

I know we should all wear dust masks of some sort when scrolling but I am sure many of you don't. I get lazy about it until I cut something that stinks.(spanish cedar,bloodwood, etc.)

I am currently using ordinary paper masks ment for wood and spackle dust but I think I would like something more comfortable and reliable. The paper mask don't always fit all that well and they make my glasses fog.

What do the rest of you use?
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

If you remove your glasses they will not fog and you will be much less critical of you own work
    Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Dan what you say is true, but I would be afraid I would cut my fingers off.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Until Santa bought me a Trend Airshield Respirator (which is really for wood turners), I always used a Trend Air Ace.

The Air Ace makes you look like Darth Vader but it's very effective and your glasses don't fog up. The only downside is that the mask leaves a noticeable impression where it presses against your face.

Although Trend products are available in the US, they're quite expensive due to the £:$ exchange rate. It would probably be wiser to look for cheaper, locally produced alternatives.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Some already call me stumpy?
          Rolf

Comment

I have tried several different brands over the years.

Here are my conclusions
            It must be lightweight and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
            It must have a positive seal against the face
            It must meet Niosh's safety approval.
            Replacement filters are easilly changed and readily available.
            It must be very effective while at the same time reasonably priced
            It must not fogg up glasses.

Therefore this is the one that I have been using for the last three or four years.

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/Nor...or_p/4200m.htm

W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I don't use a dusk mask, but have ordered one from WoodCraft. its called Dust Bee Gone. it is not cheep. but it is washabale. and looks like a good deal to me.its suposed to last for years. so that would save money on mask. especialy in working with the plainer. and sanding. www.woodcraft.com the one WY is talking about looks like a great buy, and i would listen to him. for he is a sesoned master. at woodwork for sure. i think i will look into that myself. just latly, i have been haveing problems with my red oak wood. thats a first for me. so I think it is time i use one too. if its not to late your friend Evie

Comment

Bill,
                Thanks for the link for the respirator. I have been using a woodworking dust mask and it works fine for Poplar,Oak,Red Oak and B.B. Plywood. It does not work cutting Peruvian Walnut, I have made 2 different projects with this wood and both times I have developed a sinus infection. I will not be using this wood again until I get a proper respirator.Just a word to the wise be careful when using Walnut.
                Bill
                Delta P-20

Comment

As some of you know, I am new to the scroll sawing addiction and I also have asthma, although not too bad. I have been using an AO respirator which is NIOSH approved and has replaceable filters which filter out the very finest of particles. It fits me very well and has the "catchers mask" strap for easy on and off. It took a little getting used to, but I like it very much. My glasses don't fog up at all. It seals very tightly. I bought it at Harbor Freight for about $35.00 including the two filters.
                  Good Luck in choosing and I hope this is of some help.

Dale M.

DW 788

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I was cutting some Brazilian walnut on my table saw and decided it was time to start wearing a mask again.
                    I think I will go with the half mask for the nasty wood and the simple dust mask for the rest of it.
                    Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Iamdusty
                      As some of you know, I am new to the scroll sawing addiction and I also have asthma, although not too bad. I have been using an AO respirator which is NIOSH approved and has replaceable filters which filter out the very finest of particles. It fits me very well and has the "catchers mask" strap for easy on and off. It took a little getting used to, but I like it very much. My glasses don't fog up at all. It seals very tightly. I bought it at Harbor Freight for about $35.00 including the two filters.
                      Good Luck in choosing and I hope this is of some help.

Dale M.

DW 788
                      Ok theres a doctor in the house. so I am going to listen to him for sure. you say your useing the AO resperator. and you found this at Harbor Freight.
                      I have to go look now. thanks Dale. I am wondering though, the one thing i just hate about mask, is that,,, dang, ok , i swet. drats, girls just don't like to admit that ok. but thats what happends when i use a mask. it makes me miserabale. also, how do you clean it off. i sure don't wont to give up woodworking. but after cutting for months, for hours. i am developing a allergy. drats. latly , being a horse wowmen, i have been putting a hanky over my nose. but do need some more. can't wait for my mask to come in. but i would try this one too. say doc. mmmmmmmmmm do you swet under this dang thing OK my stupids are showing. thanks. your friend Evie

Comment

I have tried a lot of mask and respirators and they all have their uses and drawbacks. For me and scroll sawing the biggest drawback is fogging my glasses and/or getting in the way of my vision. The only mask I end up using while scrolling is the Dust Bee Gone. It is comfortable, doesn't get in the way and doesn't fog my glasses. It's drawback is that it only fileters down to 2 or 3 microns. I have a dust collector attached to my saw and do not get all that much free floating dust. I know, the stuff that does float probably won't get filtered by the mask, but it is the only one I have found that I will wear.

Earlinjax

Comment

Originally posted by earlinjax
                          I have tried a lot of mask and respirators and they all have their uses and drawbacks. For me and scroll sawing the biggest drawback is fogging my glasses and/or getting in the way of my vision. The only mask I end up using while scrolling is the Dust Bee Gone. It is comfortable, doesn't get in the way and doesn't fog my glasses. It's drawback is that it only fileters down to 2 or 3 microns. I have a dust collector attached to my saw and do not get all that much free floating dust. I know, the stuff that does float probably won't get filtered by the mask, but it is the only one I have found that I will wear.

Earlinjax
                          earlinjax, now thats the first time i have heard anything on the dust bee gone. cool. thank you. Evie

Comment

Evie,
                            I have used the Dust Bee Gone mask for some while now and find it very good. While it is expensive to buy it does last very well and becomes very economic over time. I too find that misting of the glasses is not a problem.
                            Rhys H.

Comment

Mask? I'm supposed to wear a mask?

I tried but I couldn't find one to fit with my glasses so that I could still see and my glasses wouldn't fog up or fall off my face. I've given up.

I know I should wear one, but I figured I've lived this long without one and a little more fiber, er, sawdust in my system shouldn't hurt. I like that gritty feeling in my mouth.
                              Kelly
                              "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X