X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Display Advice, Please

Hi again,
    Another dilemma:
    I belong to a carving club that gets to display our work at a nearby county fair. In California, one can displayand enter scrolling and woodworking at carving shows, so my fellow carvers encourage (or possibly humor) me, and I get a really nice audience for scrolling at the fair. We sit at a table sort of out in the middle of a large room - 4 chairs and a kind of a lattice-work room divider-type thing behind us (backdrop, maybe you call it), for displaying flat or hanging projects. This year we are planning to make our own backdrop, so that it will be nicer and sturdier.
    But we cannot figure out what color to paint the thing, or whether it should be some sort of patterned cloth, like a subtle tweed or something. For carvings that sit on a table, I usually use a black t-shirt knit piece of cloth for a table cover, and things show up pretty well, but making the backdrop black seems kind of - well - depressing and dark.
    Do any of you out there have any suggestions about what is successful for you or other scrollers in showing off a variety of projects - mostly natural wood colors, but possibly a few painted things?
    We're really at an impass about this, so your suggestions are going to be very welcome.
    Thanks

I haven't had any experience at this so take it for what it's worth. Personally, I think any type of pattern would detract from the product. The plainer and more blah the background, the better the wood projects will look. I think any solid color would look good. It wouldn't have to be black. Just my 2c worth.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Natural wood always shows up well with a solid dark green or dark blue background. I would say no to a pattern background.
      Just another 2¢ worth. Mick. P-20
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

There is nothing worng with a dark black blue or green background.
        Green tends to reflect environmental so that is a plus.

The black background however is not a depressing thing. If you put a couple of light over the backdrop to highlight some of the pieces it will really draw attention.

The Wooden Toymakes Society has made a very large case, almost 4x 8, that has all the pieces displayed in.

Excuse the chairs, I wasn't staging

I Like this idea since the pieces are allready stored for easy setup and teardown.
        You could make a similar case and paint the inside wood.
        You could also line the inside with different colored posterboard for different effects.
        This unit was made to be transported in a minivan or a truck.
        Attached Files
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have made 2' X 6' and 2' X 8' frames using 1X2 wood and covered with 1/2" wire screening. Usually I try to get a booth that is next to a wall and just lean the panels. They also can be set up as "A" frame displays with just using Zip Ties to hold together. Several can be hooked together to make a triangle, square display or even a "Z" stand up which allows you to use both sides of the panels.

They are very versatel. You could even hang a solid color drape behind the panels to set off the display.
          I agree that solid color is best.

Simple "S' hooks, bent paper clips or drapery hooks can be used for the hanging.

John

Old Dust

Comment

A friend of mine sells and displays a lot ofintarsia (Name is Charlie Norris, has his own site on MSN) The back is a pale blue, sort of a sky blue and it is very becoming. I will check and see if I have one of his pictures with the background and I will add it to the thread, Here is some of the projects at the NW Scrollsaw Picnic in Portland, OR
            http://groups.msn.com/NWScrollersPicnic/shoebox.msnw
            Last edited by ChuckD; 08-22-2006, 12:13 AM.
            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by will8989
              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
              Today, 11:10 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
              Today, 10:31 PM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
              Today, 09:38 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
              Today, 06:47 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Plastic puzzle
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
              Today, 06:38 PM
            Working...
            X