My 1st key chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st key chain

I decided to give key fobs a try. I can see that once a person has done a few, they should be quite easy. This one was just done out of 3/8" BB ply becasue that is what I had laying around. I'm thinking walnut may look good or maybe cherry. I'm not sure. I am open to suggestions. The letters are only 1/2" tall. It seems kind of small. This is the size in the instructions I have from Scroll Saw Workshop. The split rings I ordered from Ebay are gold in color. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Hi Mike, your first key chain looks great.
    We have a guy here in the Hamilton area who actually makes a living selling those key chains. I purchased 12 of them from him this past Christmas. He sells them for $10.00 each. He makes them from many different woods. Purpleheart, cedar, walnut, maple, to name a few. He comes to the mall every Christmas and sets up his booth, if he dosen't have the name your looking for he cuts them while you wait. His booth is set up quite well, he has a dremel set in a vise, so all he does is turn it on and push the wood into it to make the hole for the eyelet, he has all the rings attached to the eyelet so he doesen't need to stop and assemble that part. He comes prepared with tons of strips of wood cut exactly the proper dimensions for the names. It was fascinating to stand there and watch how quickly he could turn out a name. The thing I found most fascinating was the way he would take one long piece of wood, and he would knotch it for each letter and then cut the last letter off, so he never wasted any wood, and he never spent anytime measuring the wood piece first.
    Sorry I'm getting carried away here.
    I think you could make some good money making those key chains, and besides names don't forget things like, Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Teacher, etc.
    Good Luck with your venture, I hope you'll keep us posted.
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Marsha,thanks for getting carried away. That was very interesting. However, cedar seems a little soft though, don't you think? I would think it would get dented too easily while going in a purse or pocket. Also, walnut seems a little dark. I was thinking of going with cherry. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a couple options for people. Ten dollars seems like a lot of money for such a little bugger. Were his that small too, 1/2" high? Considering I only do things locally, I'll probably have a few samples and then take orders. Payment in advance and I'll mail them.
      Mike

Comment

I have cut several of these key chains for give-away. In fact I cut one for a little boy this afternoon at the local fair. I had intended to give it to him but his dad gave me a five dollar bill. Nice of him. I have cut from walnut, oak, pine, whatever I have on hand. Usually 3/4 inch but some 1/2 inch. The one this afternoon was 1/2 x 3/4 with the name showing on the 3/4 side. Cut it in about 5 minutes. Duane

Comment

Hi Mike,
          Yes this guys key chains were all 1/2" x 1/2". He didn't seem to have any problem getting $ 10.00 for them.
          I don't think cedar is too soft, I use it to cut compound chess pieces and I've never had a problem or a complaint. Of course you have to use what's available to you, I think people will buy them no matter what they're made from.
          I think a big part of this guy's appeal was he sat right there and cut them, the customers really seemed to like that.
          Marsha
          LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

My 1st key chain

I'm curious if there is any kind of finish that you can put on them that will stand up to the in & out of pocket or purse all the time? My new saw is supposed to be here tomorrow & those look fairly quick & fun to make. I think I will have to try a few.

Comment

Graet Job Mike
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Randy, I was thinking the same thing. As long as the fish is thick like a bass, I don't see why not. If I come up with an idea, I'll post it.

Carl, thanks for the compliment. I'm just waiting for my 3/8" maple and purple heart to arrive so I can start production. I was hoping it would be here today so I could show samples at my Thursdays on Third event tonite but it didn't happen.

Whoops, I thought you said fish, not finish. Guess I got fish on my mind too much. I don't believe anybody finishes these.
                Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 08-18-2006, 10:07 PM.
                Mike

Comment

nice job, havnt tried that yet..
                  Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
                  "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Were can one find the instructions and plan to make key chains? I think I would like to give it a try. Seems like fun to make and something easy for me to teach the kids to make.

Eric

Comment

There was an article about keychain names in the SSWS Fall 2005 issue 20 written by Ron Brown. It should tell you all you need to know.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf for the info. Does anyone have a copy of that article that would be willing to share with me as I do not have that issue? This magazine has some good info it's been added to my list for Santa. Umm that list is getting bigger each day.

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric

Why not buy a back issue for yourself? It's still available and purchasing that issue would avoid infringing the copyright if someone was to simply duplicate the article for you.

There's some other good stuff in it, too, besides the keyrings .

Gill
                          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill,
                            Excellent save!!
                            Lotsa points for you.
                            Sandy

Comment

Hey Mike,
                              I have even more respect for your work after today. I thought I would go out to the shop & bang out a couple of key chains real quick before supper. WRONG! They take some time, at least until you get used to making them. I think the 3/8" is to small for me. I'm going to see what the 1/2" look like.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X