Burning fuzzies on our state bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning fuzzies on our state bird

I just read something about burning fuzzies again the other day and thought I would give it a shot. Works great and saves a lot of filing time.

I showed this pattern and 2 others to a potential customer. I was hoping she would choose the Jeff Zaffino pattern, but heck no, this is what she chose. She wants it for a birthday present for her aunt and her aunt already has a lot of loon pairs. She insisted on a loner. The Zaffino pattern would have actually been easier and looked better. I should have looked this pattern over a little better before I offered to cut it for $20. Oh well, I have to remember, it's a hobby. At least I'm going to make someone happy and that makes me happy too. Two hundred and fifty holes worth of happy!
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Sheesh....20 bucks for my loon??? That's why I had sent ya the scaled down version of it. It looks great though, thanks for cutting it (I saw it in the gallery).
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
      Sheesh....20 bucks for my loon???
      Kevin, your loon? I suppose you expect me to send you half of the $20.

Thanks for your assistance. Unfortunately she didn't like the plain one. For $5 more I guess I can't blame her.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
        Kevin, your loon? I suppose you expect me to send you half of the $20.

Thanks for your assistance. Unfortunately she didn't like the plain one. For $5 more I guess I can't blame her.
        Can't say I blame the customer either, sorry to say. Did you cut just one or a stack?
        As far as half the $20, I hadn't thought of it, but if ya really want to.... ROFL!!!!
        FWIW, that would sell for me for about $30 in an 8 X 10 size, but I also stack-cut 5 of everything.
        That pattern was actually done for a buddy who needed a loon pattern, so they seem to at least a little popular in your neck of the woods.
        Kevin

Comment

burning fuzzies

Burning fuzzies ? Sounds really good in theory ....any tips ?
          ...~Robert~
          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Originally posted by Sawduster
            Burning fuzzies ? Sounds really good in theory ....any tips ?
            Just take a propane torch, like a Bernzomatic, and quickly and lightly burn the fuzzies off the back of the wood. It won't show on the front and eliminates the fuzzies in the fretwork.
            Mike

Comment

Robert it's not just theory, it really works! I burn off all the fuzzies on all of my portraits. Here is a link to Jeff Zaffino's how to tip page on burning fuzzies. http://www.advancedscrollsawpatterns...shandframe.htm I can't even imagine any other way to do it, especially when cutting some of his detailed and very fragil patterns.

If ya still got any questions, I'll do my best to help ya out!
              Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Looks great!!! Any chance of upping your prices if you use solid hardwoods? I do remember your comments about the commuminty's spending (or lack there of), but thought I'd ask.....

Guess I'd better get off my lathe and cut a few.....

Don't shudder too bad about less than 10 cents per fret, Jedi Look how cheap beef, pork, turkey and corn is in the heartland compared to the blue, err.... East Coast!
                ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                  Looks great!!! Any chance of upping your prices if you use solid hardwoods? I do remember your comments about the commuminty's spending (or lack there of), but thought I'd ask.....

Don't shudder too bad about less than 10 cents per fret, Jedi
                  People don't really appreciate high quality around here. This is why craft shows don't go over in this town. There used to be 3 in a row at the mall every December. Unfortunately, people didn't buy and the vendors quit coming, so now they only have one in December. I have visited with a lot of the vendors and they all say that this is the worst town for sales of any town they sell in. That says something about this community. CHEAP!
                  This is why I try not to charge anything more than a 20 spot for anything. They'll part with a 20, but anything more, doubtful.

Interesting concept, Bear. Charge so much per fret. I'd have to go up quite a bit higher than 10c per fret though.
                  Mike

Comment

Mike I checked out your Loon, and I'd say you did a great job! Kevin has some delightfully wicked patterns
                    By the way Mike, I have to add this here, it seems to me in a not to distant post of yours you made a comment that I secretly smiled to myself over, and it went something like this "100 holes is enough for me, I'll stick to patterns under 100" he,he that didn't last long!
                    Keep it up Mike! Your up to any challange my friend!
                    Bill

DeWalt 788

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Bill, you just had to remind me, didn't you. Next time I'll count the entry holes before I offer the pattern, or at least before I quote a price.

Actually, this loon probably had twice as many holes as the turkey I did previously, but I don't think it took any longer. I may not be getting any better but I think I'm getting faster.
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkhillbilly
                        Kevin has some delightfully wicked patterns
                        Bill,
                        If I ever decide to start trying to sell some patterns, I am just gonna have to use this one! I like it

Kevin
                        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
                          Bill,
                          If I ever decide to start trying to sell some patterns, I am just gonna have to use this one! I like it

Kevin
                          LOL, you got it! Don't forget challenging, and not for the faint of heart!
                          Bill

DeWalt 788

Comment

Nice job on the loon!
                            I guess I am lucky that the people around here spend money.
                            Especially when we have kindergarden teachers making 90K.
                            Our taxes reflect that.
                            On a serious note I think spending in general is down everywhere with the gas prices etc. eating up all of our loose change.
                            Sorry drifted off topic.
                            $20 was low for that beautiful piece.
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

first magic markers on patterns, now firing off fuzzies with a torch
                              .......does the fun never end here ?
                              Seriously, what an awesome idea and I have a torch too ! sometimes I use it to highlight wood grain on other projects that I do ( oh , and plumbing from time to time ) ...gonna try this trick fer shure !! Thanx for the tip guys
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X