How do you cut slots in a dowel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cut slots in a dowel??

Good evening everyone! I have a dilemma (when don't I??). I'm trying to make the wooden padlock from Steve Good's site. You need to scroll about half way down the page to see it. I'm ok with the lock it's the key that's kicking my fanny!! I can't get the slots cut in it!! Can anyone tell me how the heck to do this?? Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Place the dowel in a vee block and carefully cut the slot on your bandsaw. Another way would be to hold the dowel in a vise and saw the slot with a handsaw. Lot's of ways to accomplish this task!
    -- Rick --

Comment

The "Key" (no pun intended) is to hold it securely and safely!
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Yes. Bandsaw. Center dowel on the blade and held up to fence and slide it in to required depth.

Comment

The V shaped block to hold it is the way to go because you can use the point of the V to center the cut.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Being the "visual" person that I am, is it possible for someone to take a couple pictures of this?? I'm just not quite understanding (as usual!!) Thanks so much!!
            Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I have made a few locks and make my keys from 1/4" dowel. I put a 0 clearance table on my saw and just eyeball my slot, I can see that a V block would make this easer but i dont use one, and i cut a bit deeper than i need then sand it down square so you can drill the hole in the end of the key. I put in a picture of my last lock I dont have a close up of the key
              Attached Files
              WHEN LIFE
              GIVES YOU HANDS
              MAKE HANDMADE
              STAN

Comment

Hey Stan, love your lock!! Is that in one of the books on locks?? I have one of them but don't recall seeing it. Could you tell me where I might buy this pattern?? I hope someone can post some pictures of the v block so I understand.... maybe it's a woman thing?!?! Thanks so much!!
                Cathy in NE

Comment

The lock is my own design inside and out and unfortunatly I dont have a pattern as i just drew it on the wood and cut it I have a lot of people asking for a pattern and im just not that good at machanical drawing. As far as the V block goes heres a quick drawing of one from the end and should be about 3-4" long hope that helps
                  Attached Files
                  WHEN LIFE
                  GIVES YOU HANDS
                  MAKE HANDMADE
                  STAN

Comment

Cathy

Here is a quick sketch/model of the V block to give you an idea. The V block just helps to keep the dowel from turning while you are cutting.
                    Attached Files
                    Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

You can also make one of Steve Good coin cutting jigs. You will also find the jigs handy for other projects as well, like 3D items
                      May the wind at you back .....
                      Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Here ya go Cathy. Make up different size blocks for different projects.
                        Hold it flat to the table when you tighten the bolts so it doesn't wobble.
                        Attached Files
                        May the wind at you back .....
                        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it now!! Can you believe this group!! Always willing to help! Stan, if you ever get a pattern created for the lock, let me know. I will be the first one in line to purchase it!! Thanks everyone you're all the greatest!!!
                          Cathy in NE

Comment

If you take a scrap of wood and drill a horizontal hole in it the same size as the dowel, you can insert the dowel.
                            On the end of the block you can cut a slot. This will cut into the dowel.
                            It is not a bad jig because you can repeat the process and get consistant results.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller View Post
                              If you take a scrap of wood and drill a horizontal hole in it the same size as the dowel, you can insert the dowel.
                              On the end of the block you can cut a slot. This will cut into the dowel.
                              It is not a bad jig because you can repeat the process and get consistant results.
                              That sounds like a pretty good idea!
                              -- Rick --

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X