Pricing a piece...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing a piece...

I received a request today from a friends wife asking if I could do a salmon for a birthday present. I just so happen to have one sitting on my work bench that I haven't hung up yet...

Now I'm trying you figure out how much I should ask for the piece..
    I've got at least $25 into it with the wood, glass eye and supplies..

would $50 plus shipping be a fair price?
    if it wasn't for a freind, what kind of a price would you put on a piece like this?

thanks
    Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

how much time did you spend working on it ? what are the dimensions ?
    50 seems a fair price for a friend but would go higher for anyone else ,like 75 or so just my opinion though :-)

Charlie,

the more detail it has and the more time spent on it ,the higher the price

was thinking on selling my horse for about 100 but still not sure on that one

http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/3816
    Last edited by Charlie_1; 07-22-2006, 03:25 PM.
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Trout Man ,

I have the same problem as you so what I do is guess what I think it's worth based on who is getting it and how much time it took me. In the end I don't want to sell something that cost me more to do than I sold it for unless the it did not work out to my liking but someone wants it instead of the work going to trash. My base is cost of materials plus 10 to 15 dollars an hour. So if its for a friend materials cost 25 dollars and it took 5 hours I would sell it for 75 dollars. If they have issues I talk to them about the labour involved and in the end its a form of art and good quality workmanship, 100 % wood so try to beat that in the stores. Now if you can get the same stuff in the stores and it costs 25 dollars instead of the 75 dollars you're charging then tell them to go to the stores because you can't beat those price. For example someone asked me for to quote them on a roll top desk when I told them how much about it would cost alone in materials they can find it cheaper at Homedepot and all they need to do is assemble it. Now that's the draw back of oversea cheap labour but some times its not worth it because the quality is not the same as if you would make it yourself.

Now back to your question I would sell it for a friend around 75 dollars and if it was for a stranger a little over 100 dollars. hope this helps

Eric

Comment

Hot topic

This is a hot topic that has come up many time. I still never know what to charge, which is why I give most of my stuff away

this thread http://scrollsawer.com/forum/showthr...8221#post28221 has some good thought. Specificaly Kevins post
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Trout, There are 2 different ways to sell your projects.
          1) If someone comes to me and ask me to make them something specific I find out what they want it made from, I figure out what the material will cost, I triple the cost of material, (materials includes finishing products) add 10% for incidentals such as blades, glue and joinery and that is the price I sell it for.
          2) If someone wants to buy something I've already made and have sitting around, I take an honest look at the item and decide what I would be willing to pay for the item, if I hadn't made it, but really wanted it.
          One thing I never do is consider how long it might take me to make an item, the making is my pleasure, not what I get per hour for doing it.
          That being said I wouldn't sell your salmon for less then $ 75.00 or $ 80.00 plus shipping. Friend or not don't sell yourself short.
          Just my 2 cents worth
          Marsha
          LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

thanks for the insight on pricing

that's why I enjoy giving my pieces away as raffle prizes...

The Salmon has been sold for $50 plus shipping.
            I know I gave it away, but it's going to a good home.
            She asked me a year ago if I would do one for her husband.
            I did the salmon last year for a raffle and I heard that he really wanted to win it..

He'll be thrilled....

Another reason I asked this question is that I need to get a guy at work off my back.
            He wants me to make a steelhead trout for his buddy's fourth birthday..He's said, he's willing to pay. We'll see if his buddy is worth $150? and to think I was going to offer him the salmon for $50.

Thanks again..
            Trout
            Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

HI Trout I got 125 ca for this one
              http://www.picturetrail.com/uid3726744

Comment

Very,very nice jimp11, what kind of finish did you use?
                Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

jimp11, very nice..I've checked out you site before and committed on your work.. your Poplar looks great with just a clear coat.

This salmon really isn't one of my better pieces. If you remember I pretty much gave up after the first coat of stain and it got to the point where I just wanted to get it done...so getting $50 for this piece isn't so bad and the more I look at it, it still looks pretty good and they'll be thrilled with it...

Trout
                  Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Jim

just visited your site, like them all, very nice....
                    Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
                    "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Jimp,

Awesome bass. What are the dimesions? Maybe tomorrow I'll catch his cousin. I checked out your site and was very impressed. The deer looks like it's ready to jump out of the picture. I assume this is what they call intarsia. I still don't understand the process. I realize you cut out individual pieces, sand them and then glue them back together but how do you get the depth and 3-D effect? Maybe I'll have to stick to my portraits. At least they don't take a great deal of thought process.

As far as pricing a piece goes, I decided that unless you need it as a supplemental income, what the heck is the difference as long as you cover expenses and make a few bucks to be able to update equipment eventually. I used to watch quite a bit of TV, actually too much TV. Nobody paid me a cent for that. I didn't even make enough to cover the electricity. Then, thanks to some of you people, I am now addicted to scrolling. If a portrait takes me 3 or 4 hours and I get just $20 for it, I just made a profit of $18 to put toward a Dewalt someday, and I have the knowledge that somebody appreciated my efforts. That alone is worth something to me. If I sell only 5 portraits per month, and put $18 of that away each time, it will take me just 5 months to have enough cash for a Dewalt. The wife can't even complain about that. Not only that, but I've been enjoying myself at the same time. The only real drawback is a sore neck and shoulders. I may have to factor in the expense of a masseuse too.
                      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 07-23-2006, 03:45 PM.
                      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I shouldnt even comment, but here it goes..... stack cut and you get your yella saw in 2 1/2 months !
                        And, they are both great lookin fish! Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

You're right Dale, maybe you shouldn't comment. Just kidding of course. You're comments are always more than welcome. As soon as I find out what people are looking for around here I'll give it a shot. Not only that, I have to be able to sell twice as many too. I just don't want to be stuck with 2 each of a few things that nobody wants.
                          Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 07-23-2006, 11:16 PM.
                          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

you know I am biting my tongue again! Why wouldnt someone want the second one??? If nothing else, donate it to a church auction, or give it away at Christmas!
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

MN Scroller, we are DEFINITELY hooking up when I move down there

barry....in alaska.....trying so hard to.........do a better job biting my tongue than lucky........

YOU ARE GOOD. REALLY GOOD. GO FOR IT. Stack cut, get that new saw, get featured in "the magazine...........

oops, looks like I couldn't do it....sorry.....
                              ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X