Cheep, cheep. Guess what species.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheep, cheep. Guess what species.

I'm getting a sore back and shoulders. I may have to take a break for a day. I'm trying to get a few done for a third street vendor show on Thursday. I may not sell anything but then I may get local requests. I'll have another dog head done by then and we do have a ton of dogs in this town. I'm thinking that may be a good market. Most of the dog head patterns are quite simple. We also have a lot of bird watchers here. I'm also going to scroll a horse head and maybe a rock star. At least I should get a feel for what people like around here. This vendor show is going to run every Thursday thru September and is totally free. Not only that, I live just 3 blocks away. Can't beat that.

My birdie went real well until the very end. I pulled the pattern off and saw one tiny hole that wasn't cut out 100%. So, like a dummy, I ran the blade thru the hole and started up the saw, WITHOUT HOLDING UNTO THE BOARD! Guess what. The board jumped and out came a chunk. My first reaction was to bawl like a baby. But then I remembered where someone had mentioned using a little glue to reattach a piece. I dug around and found some super glue and put a drop on the 2 pieces where they connect and also put a little wood glue on the back where it contacts the backing and lo and behold, unless you know it's there, you'll never see it. Thanks to whoever shared the glue idea. It saved me a lot of depression.

P.S. And no Dale, it's not a duck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

hmmmm, its not a duck huh? Its not a chickadee either then, and it cant be a goldfinch. I wish I could get a better look at them feeties..I bet they ARE webbed!!! It looks great though, whatever kind of gamebird that is!!! Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have glued enough little strays myself.
      There are times when I do start over but there are others, where no one knows.

Glue is a tool that when used with discretion can save a whole lot of heartache.

Awesome job on the bird. I am thinking it is a bluebird but I am no ornithologist. I really wouldn't know a bluebird from a tit!
      That tail may make it a swallow.
      Last edited by CanadianScroller; 07-21-2006, 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling gnome tapped me on the shoulder
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

tit...tail...swallow?????????????????????????????? ?????????? OH MYYYY , I AM corrupt! sorry , my mind was just unwinding!
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Way to go Canadian, you win the booby prize. Sorry Lucky, maybe the wrong word to use, huh?
          Mike

Comment

Roflmao!!!!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Ok , that a canadian blue berd???? i would have guess a sparrow. are blue berds are much diffearnt. go figure. but then its not blue, maybe thats where i went rough. no matter. it still looks great. your friend evie

Comment

Ach, who cares? It's too small to roast, so I'm content to savour some skillful sawing and some deft gluing.

Nicely done, sir!

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Very well done

Charlie,
                  Charlie
                  "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                  Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Mike,

Nice bird.

Where did you get the pattern from?

Good luck on sales.

Regards,
                    Marcel
                    http://marleb.com
                    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The pattern came from one of the free MSN group sites.
                      Mike

Comment

Cheep,cheep. guess what species.

Minnesota Scroller,
                        What city are you located in? Would like to check your show. I carve fish & duck decoys, even though they have been selling pretty good lately, my wife says I can buy no more until I sell some.

Comment

nice job on the bird and the save....
                          Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
                          "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Mike you are in a scrolling frenzy! Your bird looks great too I might add! You should have no trouble finding customers and they will be happy customers too, with fine looking portraits like this one you can't loose. Best of luck! Remember just have fun the rest will come.
                            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Mistakes

Mike,
                              I have found over the years, that mistakes are often the creation of a new and better pattern by removing some of the unecessery material.

Richard
                              Peculiar Fretworks

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                              I'm getting a sore back and shoulders. I may have to take a break for a day. I'm trying to get a few done for a third street vendor show on Thursday. I may not sell anything but then I may get local requests. I'll have another dog head done by then and we do have a ton of dogs in this town. I'm thinking that may be a good market. Most of the dog head patterns are quite simple. We also have a lot of bird watchers here. I'm also going to scroll a horse head and maybe a rock star. At least I should get a feel for what people like around here. This vendor show is going to run every Thursday thru September and is totally free. Not only that, I live just 3 blocks away. Can't beat that.

My birdie went real well until the very end. I pulled the pattern off and saw one tiny hole that wasn't cut out 100%. So, like a dummy, I ran the blade thru the hole and started up the saw, WITHOUT HOLDING UNTO THE BOARD! Guess what. The board jumped and out came a chunk. My first reaction was to bawl like a baby. But then I remembered where someone had mentioned using a little glue to reattach a piece. I dug around and found some super glue and put a drop on the 2 pieces where they connect and also put a little wood glue on the back where it contacts the backing and lo and behold, unless you know it's there, you'll never see it. Thanks to whoever shared the glue idea. It saved me a lot of depression.

P.S. And no Dale, it's not a duck.
                              Richard Preator

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X