jagged edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jagged edges

is it common to have jagged edges when cutting a sharp V like grass in a wild life patttern as i am using 1/4 bb using a p-20 at medium speed thanks jack from saskatchewan

Hmmm you have to define jagged edges.

If the lines are jagged it could be that the blade is somewhat loose.
    The blade could bounce a little then on the up and down stroke.
    A tighter blade and a slower speed would correct this.

If the wood is splintering you could use a backer board or a reverse tooth or crown tooth blade.

If the wood is not being held tight enough to the table, that could cause jagged lines too.
    You may want to cut two pieces of wood at the same time to gain better control over the wood.

Hope this helps
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Dale gave some excellent tips.
      But I don't think you mentioned if you were using a flat blade or a spiral. A flat blade will give a cleaner and smoother edge than a spiral blade.
      W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

The new spirals will leave a much better and cleaner edge. The same as with a flat blade. The Two cut will also do a good job some like it over the crown tooth.

Mike M
        Last edited by 3_M; 07-18-2006, 11:26 AM.
        SD Mike

Comment

I have tried both flat reverse tooth and the "new" spirals and the flats still do a nicer job in my books.

Mike
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

jagged edge

thanks for the info i am using a flat blade #1 fd-psr it is splittering at the top of the ^ thanks

Comment

Maybe the blade is in upside down? I've done this before. Be sure the largest number of teeth point down. Only about 4 should be pointing up. I use reverse tooth Olson with 1/4" BB and never have that problem unless the blade is upside down.

Mike
              Mike

Comment

Its splintering at the top of the grass blade? like at the very point? When the wood is cut down to a sharp point, sometimes that can happen if you are making your cuts for both sides towards the point. I cut shapes like a blade of grass by cutting up one side, make a quick loop in the waste area, and cut down the opposite side of the blade of grass, so all of my cutting, or, i should say, my keeper part (this being the blade of grass), is on the right side of the blade as i cut, and thats with a flat blade.
                Im not quite sure if I'm understanding the problem or not, but I hope that helped some, if not, Im sorry. Dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Mike, thanks for telling us how to determine when a reverse tooth blade is in upside down. I use to put the blade in and watch where the dust went, if it was on top of my cut I knew the blade was in upside down, now I can check the teeth, gonna make putting the blade in the right way easier.
                  Thanks again
                  Marsha
                  LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

thanks for all the great tips i was cutting tonight it did not happen so the blade must have been up side down as i paid atttention to the up and down teeth thanks jack from saskatchewan

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. Isn't this forum handy? Without it, I wouldn't be scrolling.

Mike

Jack and Marsha, you're both welcome.
                      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM.
                      Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X