Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.A.W. Memebers?

Hi

I've been looking at the SAW web page and thinking I may want to become a memeber and I was looking for feed back about this group as if it was worth my while becoming a memeber? So please let me know your pro and con's about Saw if you are a memeber or know about them. I've also been thinking about looking into the possiblilty of a scroll saw picnic or expo for Montreal, Canada any feed back putting on a scroll saw picnic??

Eric

Eric;
    I believe S A W to be a very worthy organization to be associated with. .
    Have you checked through their Home Page ? Click on *Site Map* on the left side of their home page. There is literally tons of scrollsawing information that can be found under the hundreds of links on that page.

I have come to realize that S A W is run by a highly qualified board of directors that are extremely knowledgable in every aspect of their positions .
    Although most sites have members from many countries , I believe S A W is striving to be the scrollsawing site that scrollers from all over the world will eventually be attracted to because they even have different language interpretaion help in their site. Thus S A W meaning Scrollsaw Association of the World is their goal.
    More power to them.
    They are a great bunch of people to be associated with as far as I am concerned. .
    W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Eric:

I agreee with what W.Y. has posted. It will not hurt to join S.A.W.,

But, be aware that there are members of this fourm who live and post from beyond the shores of North America. Some of these friends of ours point out that the SAW site is very emphatically a North American forum site, with only hopes of expanding beyond N.A.. SAW may get there, but for now it is only a hope.

Join SAW if you so wish to, but visit this site for more 'international' postings.

BTW: Canadian magazine HomeWorkshop hosts a forum with a scroll saw section. If you do have an informal get togeather, do post notice of the picnic there also.

Phil

Comment

Im a member of SAW. For the small cost, the benefits are well worth it I think.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

lucky788scroller wrote Im a member of SAW. For the small cost, the benefits are well worth it I think.

So I'm wondering what are the benifits? What can I get out of it seeing this is not a popular thing around here in Montreal or at least I beleive it isn't?

GrayBeard Phil wrote BTW: Canadian magazine HomeWorkshop hosts a forum with a scroll saw section. If you do have an informal get togeather, do post notice of the picnic there also.

I'm aware of that publication and Forum as I get it and from time to time post on their message board but I'm not happy with the exchange flow.

My last question would be how many members here are from Montreal or in near distance beside Marcel?

Eric

Comment

Hello Eric,

Let me preface my remarks by saying first of all that my point of view is admittedly prejudiced. I have volunteered a lot of work for SAW and I believe in the organization totally. So, I will try to be objective, but may not always succeed.

SAW believes in scrolling and wants to do everything that it can to promote scrolling all around the world. In doing so, we believe that we provide a great deal of help to individual scrollers. Some of those benefits are listed here. I feel that the Directory alone is worth the cost of membership. We have compiled a list of resources in that publication that will help you find whatever vendor or type of vendor you are looking for. Some of this information is also available on the website. But there is much more in the Directory. The Directory is updated an republished annually. The information in there can help even if you don't have internet access - phone numbers, address's, etc.

Admittedly SAW was started in the United States and the bulk of the members and resources are also located in the United State. The only reason that the bulk of the resources are in the US is because we haven't found a lot of vendors outside of the states. But those we have found are listed, and if anyone knows of more we will gladly add them. It's not important to us where in the world that they are located, the fact that they exist is enough to have them listed.

SAW also promotes Scrollsaw Clubs and the formation of Local Chapters in order to provide more personalized help to a scroller. The internet helps to spread a lot of information, but sometimes you just need to actually see how something is done, up close and personal, in order to understand it. Clubs are a fantastic way of providing that kind of help. Obviously, SAW would be ecstatic if EVERY scrollsaw club became a Local Chapter of SAW, but we are realistic enough to know that probably will never happen. We encourage everyone to join a local club, and if none exists where you are, we encourage you to start one. SAW can offer more help to a Local Chapter, but that decision is one to be made at the local level.

Our quarterly newsletter has a lot of information about the organization, but we also try to provide articles of interest to all scrollers. The newsletter will never be like SSW or CWWC, but to some degree there are some similarities because our members wanted it. We do publish a few patterns in each issue, all donated by our membership. We have found some new designers who have gone on to publish in the larger magazines and we applaud their success.

SAW began sponsoring scrollsaw contests some years ago and several of our members were successful in geting scrollsawing to be a part of the Fine Design Woodworking contest in San Diego.

There are also benefits on the Members part of the SAW web site which you cannot see until you join. There are programs there that will allow you to create your own scrollable text pattern , calculate proportion changes you may want to make, index's of SSW, CWWC patterns to be found, and much more.

SAW supports the existing scrollsaw picnics, and helps new ones just getting started by providing information and contacts where more information can be found. This includes the annual picnic held in Sweden and the Australian Scrollsaw show (I've forgotten the exact name of their event...sorry), as well as the events in the United States. SAW is not in charge of these events, but we help the people who do put them on as much as possible.

We are always open to input from our membership and welcome any ideas of things they would like to have SAW participate in or do.

SAW supports any type of scrolling - it is not limited to any one technique, tool, or idea. We have a passion for all things scrolling.

Many of the things that SAW offers are available to everyone without being a member. This was a conscious decision on our part, that as much as we would like to have everyone be a member - above and beyond that we want to help scrollers. Yes, there is more help available to a member, to be honest though, without our members, SAW wouldn't exist and would not be able to provide any help to anyone.

SAW is run by volunteers, scrollers just like you - no one is getting paid for being on the Board of Directors. Collectively there is a lot of experience in scrolling amongst the BOD members, but there is always room for more - we don't cover EVERY aspect. Every SAW member is eligible to run for a position on the Board of Directors and three are elected annually to our nine member group. So there is always the possiblity of three new people being chosen each year to join the BOD. The entire membership votes who will be joining the Board of Directors.

I know I get long winded, but as I said I believe in SAW whole heartedly. Feel free to respond here or privately if you have any other questions.

Pat Lupori
            SAW Membership

Comment

well, Pat about covered everything pretty well. The directory alone is well worth the price, especially if you are having troubles with one vendor, and are searching for a new supplier for parts and patterns, like discussed recently in a thread.Remember, there are more then one place to get most things. You can search online, or thru the adds in the SSWC, or as I've done more times then once, is pull out the directory and look up a few other companies.Or, if your just interested in knowing a scroller in your area or somewhere you might be traveling, its simple to look up .
              The access to the members only section on the site is full of many great patterns free to members. these arent just the simple plain jane amature portrait patterns that can be found anywhere online for free, but some real quality John Nelson , Dirk Boelman patterns, as well as patterns from tons of others.
              Bahhh, Im just repeating Pat... The choice is yours. Some join and enjoy it, some join, and feel the benefits arent worth it, and some also never try it, and cast stones at something they really arent educated on. Browse the SAW site, and if it interests you, and you can afford it, give it a shot,if not, at least you took the time to make an educated decision. Fair enough?
              I hope this made sense, and helped you out.Im not sure I answered your question fully, so dont be afraid to tug on my ear and ask more! Dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Eric,

You don't need to be a member of SAW if you want to get together with me. Just send me a PM.

I'm also curious to know how many SAW members are from the Montreal region?

Not too many I'll bet .

Not that SAW is bad (I don't judge since I never belonged at this time), I just don't see what you could provide us locally when the Quebec Government requires everything here to be French first, bilingual second and only if French is predominant: that's a law!. Just the translation expenses would bust your budget, or do you by chance have French (Canadian) literature?

It is nice to proclaim oneself international, but it is different to be so and respond in the different languages spoken in the different localities around the world.

It is Utopic to believe that English (US) is the universal world language. It is not even the language spoken by the most people on this little ball we inhabit. I believe (but could be wrong) that this honor goes to Chinese (Cantonese?).

Also notice that I put countries in parenthesis after the language, because even then there are disparities: Canadian/Quebec French is different from the France French, US English is different from UK English and so on.

Out of curiosity: how many countries is SAW registered in? What legal recourses do I have in any other country besides the US should a SAW sponsored event (God forbid) become legally liable for whatever reason?

So having international goals, while commendable, is not an easy endeavor. And having members from different countries doesn't make an organization International.

Respectfully,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Ooooh... someone give that Moderator a big wooden spoon for his stirring .

I'm keeping outta this one!

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
                    Eric,

You don't need to be a member of SAW if you want to get together with me. Just send me a PM.
                    True, you don't need to be a member of SAW to get together, start a club or even a National group of your own. But we can help you find another person to get together with, or a club, or help you to form that club. The help is available, but it is still up to you whether you want to participate or make use of the help offered.

I'm also curious to know how many SAW members are from the Montreal region?

Not too many I'll bet .
                    We have Canadian members, but I don't know Canadian geography well enough to be able to tell you how many are close to you. I also don't know Texas geography enough to do the same thing for someone there. That still doesn't mean that we don't offer enough help for you to be able to find someone.

Not that SAW is bad (I don't judge since I never belonged at this time), I just don't see what you could provide us locally when the Quebec Government requires everything here to be French first, bilingual second and only if French is predominant: that's a law!. Just the translation expenses would bust your budget, or do you by chance have French (Canadian) literature?
                    No, we do not currently have literature in other languages. The web site does have translation capability. When we have a member who would like our literature translated into another language, I am hopeful that same member would be willing to help. You have to keep in mind that we are all volunteers working for SAW. The budget is miniscule. That makes things happen slower than if you just had to go out and find someone you could pay to accomplish a task. Obviously you have a command of the English language Marcel, would you be willing to help out on such a project as translating our literature?

It is nice to proclaim oneself international, but it is different to be so and respond in the different languages spoken in the different localities around the world.

It is Utopic to believe that English (US) is the universal world language. It is not even the language spoken by the most people on this little ball we inhabit. I believe (but could be wrong) that this honor goes to Chinese (Cantonese?).

Also notice that I put countries in parenthesis after the language, because even then there are disparities: Canadian/Quebec French is different from the France French, US English is different from UK English and so on.
                    I've looked and looked and do not see anything in our literature or on our web site that says we are not willing to translate, or that everything must be done in English. I have responded to messages in other languages - using a translator to read the original message and the same translator to fix my response. I guess I don't understand where this attitude comes from? The closest I can find anything that might lead you to think this is the fact that we accept funds in US dollars. When we have grown enough to be able to have bank accounts in other countries we won't have to do that. It's just not going to happen for a while.

Out of curiosity: how many countries is SAW registered in? What legal recourses do I have in any other country besides the US should a SAW sponsored event (God forbid) become legally liable for whatever reason?
                    This is a work in progress, and also does not happen overnight. It didin't happen in the US overnight either. SAW hasn't been in existence long enough to have established this kind of thing everywhere. Will it eventually? I don't know. I do know that we will keep trying to make it happen. In the meantime, we encourage the formation of clubs or groups. The Australian Scrollsaw Network was created after several Australians became involved in SAW and then decided they wanted their own organization. We thought that was wonderful. When SAW started there were NO organizations anywhere for scrollers and only one magazine which was only partially directed to scrollers. A lot has changed since then.

So having international goals, while commendable, is not an easy endeavor. And having members from different countries doesn't make an organization International.

Respectfully,
                    Marcel
                    I agree that it is not an easy endeavor. Do you see any other organization even trying? What would be required in your mind to make an organization international? I've seen this, or similar statements, on this forum before. I'm just not clear on what you think would be required. As a grass roots organization, it will take some work, not only by us, but also by people in other countries to help. When we selected the name of the organization we knew that it was ambitious, but we also knew that scrollers existed around the world, and that there was nothing out there for any of them.

SAW would honestly like to hear from more scrollers from other countries with ideas on what you need, information we might be able to provide, or questions such as you have raised here. It is a constant evolution.

Pat Lupori
                    SAW Membership

Comment

I think SAW is like anything else, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. I'm happy to be a member even though I'm one of those dreaded Americans, LOL. Do I think SAW needs help to realize its potential? Absolutely, but it's not gonna happen while people sit by and complain about what it purports to be or what it is or isn't.
                      As far as the language thingy, here we go again. English is spoken in more countries than any other. I think if SAW just managed to get into those countries they'd be considered pretty international and with only 1 language, hehehe. You are correct that Chinese (Mandarin) is spoken by the most people at 1.12 Billion but only in a handful of countries. For some additional reading on languages and their distrubutions, here's a couple of links. Here and here.
                      I know members of SAW from Australia, Sweden, Germany, Canada, Mexico and a whole bunch of other places which in my mind does make it international. I think SAW has great potential to do terrific things regardless of what language they choose to do it in. I counted 19 current members in Canada.
                      Marcel, why not join SAW, volunteer to start up the first French speaking chapter, and help in growing SAW's international credentials?
                      Kevin
                      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response to my comments and questions.

Please note that I wasn't putting down SAW in any way. I don't know enough about your organization to do that, nor do I wish to put it down.

My questions were from a non US 'newbie' citizen POV, and my comment pertaining to the use of English language was based on the language of your web site and the fact that no other "ready made" language version is available. Yes, the language translator function can be used; but if heads of nations used that function to talk to each other you'd have a world war on your hands started by it. In other words, this is definitely a case of what you get is what you pay for.

Would I want to get involve and do translation for you? Maybe, but not at this point of my life. I'm just too busy with my job & home renovation projects right now to take that extra burden on my shoulders.

Kevin,

If I thought that Americans were dreaded, I wouldn't be doing the job I do, nor would I be active on this site as much as I am. BUT the mentality IS different from one country to the next, heck make that one region to the next.

I did not state that I agree with the language police in my province, these idiots want to force me to use the French version of XP and Office and I'm fighting tooth and nails so it won't happen. I can't stand the French version's crashing and am completely unfamiliar with the labels. English is used in more countries than any other language for now.

Will I join SAW? Not today, I don't feel the need for it, nor the desire to start a new chapter locally, at this time. But who know what the future reserves? I'm not close minded to the idea, just not inclined to do so right now.

Regards,
                        Marcel
                        (Who's got some to go earn his paycheck)
                        http://marleb.com
                        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Wow this topic seems to get more interesting each time I check it out. I think I will join SAW in the near future for what it stands for and for where I would like to take my scroll saw skills. I would like to soon be able to make a profit from my work and think with being associated with Saw it can help. Thanks to the Saw memebers for their input as it helped out with there info.

I would love to see more scroll saw things out of montreal like srcoll saw events or club. What comes into play is time and politics. I can think of a great location in my opinion for a SAW event or picnic but again its playing the political game. Who would be interested in investing in a venue like this if there is not much interest from people. I think SAw events are easier in the states because most of stuff for this wonderfull art is found in the states and seems more popular. In Montreal there is one store I know who carries scroll saw supplies but nothing much to talk about as they are expensive and don't have what I need and I end up buying from the states. In the end starting something in Montreal like getting a club or event would be great so who has the time and engery? Who from the states were most of the stuff comes from would come to Montreal and lend support? Its all nice to think it is possible but in the end were are the resoucres? I think maybe first there needs to be more materials available in montreal to get local supporters involved or interested and take it from there or find people and start a chapter.

Eric

Comment

Holy Cow. I probley should keep my nose out of this, BUT NOT. I just joined Saw. and I don't have a clue in how it works. I have learned alot here. and I will say, there must be alot more to it , than just a scrolling club. one of the reasons i joined was. I seen pictures of the scrollers projects from around the world. and I thought what a great thing. people getting together, doing something we all injoy. I am not sure but I think Saw is very young. and only has a few people willing to keep it alive. without pay. I guess Saw could have kept Saw. only avalibale for americans. but wonted to expand to all contryies. making things availabale to all. and joining us all together, not as a contest, but, sharing are talent with each other. I just hate the politics envolved. reledgion, laugwedg, and the sort. one of the benafits i wonted was the addresses of some of those scrollers, that i admire. that i couldn't , to my knoledg, get ahold of before. if even some or even 1/2 the memmbers would take the chance to have their say in how they would like to see Saw run. would speeck up. I bet . alot of these conflicts would be closer to being solved. HA HA follow my own advice. I think this thread is great, becouse that just might happen. I wonder, is there any other club availabale to join, that has gone to the troubale to do this. i could join a locale club. but then i wouldn't have the oppertuity to talk to others around the world. I have met some owsume folks here at the forum, and wouldn't traid anyof you for more. but , Saw dosen't just go on line to a forume to get folks together. but through the club, and acktivities, word of mouth, and shows, not only scrolling picnecks but tool shows, even other shows. like craft shows and so on so on. the first time i ever heard of Saw was at a tool show. and I thought what a great dill. folks all around the world getting together.How can I be a part of this. not a country, but just scrollers. well ok enouph said. I hope to see this club advance into something we could all be proud of. all around the world. and feel safe in. Evie

Comment

We would love to have you as a member Eric, but even if you don't join we still want to do what we can to help.

One little misconception I need to clear up though. SAW has put on only three events ever, one in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 2000 - one in San Diego, California in 2002 - and one in Stevens, Pennsylvania in 2004. The picnics that occur annually are put on by other people. SAW supports the whole concept of Scrollsaw picnics, but if you are waiting for us to put one on in Canada - don't be holding your breath (it could be dangerous to your health).

SAW participates in as many of the picnics as we can. We developed the guidelines on holding a contest at these events and, to some extent, through the events we did put on, showed how seminars and demonstrations could enhance a scrollsawing event. If anyone in Canada does decide to put on a scrollsawing picnic, I'm sure SAW will be doing its best to participate and support such a venture.

I was lucky enough to meet Garnet Hall at the Branson event last week end. What a nice gentleman. I know he had been to previous picnics at Branson, but I never got the chance to talk to him because of working at the event myself. So, this was my first opportunity to talk to him and I really enjoyed it. In fact, most of the people that I've met who are important to scrolling happened at picnics. I met Jeff Zaffino in Alabama last May, Patrick Speilman and John Nelson in Pennsylvania years ago, Joanne Lockwood out in Pennsylvania, John Pohlemus and Dirk and Karen Boelman. I still haven't met Rick or Karen Longabaugh. But then I still haven't managed to make it to the Oregon picnic. That trip is on my wish list though.

Pat Lupori
                              SAW Membership

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by will8989
                                Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                                Today, 09:09 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X