Anyone ever make a cribbage board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever make a cribbage board?

My son loves to play cribbage and for Christmas I thought I would try figuring out how to make one out of the Colorado Avalanche logo which is his favorite team.

I have a board at home and can use that as a reference for number of holes etc. I was just wondering if anyone had ever attempted to make one. Seems like drilling the holes would be the most time consuming, teadious thing about it.
    Kelly
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Kelly,
    They make jigs for drilling all the holes for adjustable book cases (basically a bar with a bunch of evenly spaced holes drilled in it). I'd pick one of them up; that would cut down on your drilling time significantly.

An alternative would be to take a small section of wood and drill a series of holes the distance you need them to be apart and use this piece of wood as a jig...you'll just have to move it a little more often!

Good Luck!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Dusty:

If your local library carries old issues of Wood Magazine:
      Issue 26 December 1988, page 80

Also,
      Try Cherry Tree online (should be a link under "Other Great Sites" under Scrolling Community on left of your screen for this site.) search for cribbage board at that site.

Rockler has a template for sale for a cribbage board. (Rockler should also be listed in Other Great Sites.)

BTW: besides using Google.com, you can query at Ask.com for 'cribbage board layout' and find the following suggestion:
      Take a cheap cribbage board, and modify it to be your template for your drill press.

That way, if you use one of the intarsa plans from one of our designers, and using the Cherry Tree idea of not making a rectangle cribbage board, you could still have blocks of 8 peg whole blocks on an intarsa made animal.
      (sorry, I know that idea is not clearly written, but look at the cherry Tree cribbage board, and think intarsa.)

Phil

Comment

Hi Dusty,

Here is a link to a free cribbage board template

http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/pdf/nov05_cribbage.pdf

It is from an article published in Nov.05

Regards,
        Marcel
        http://marleb.com
        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gary beasley
          Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
          by Gary beasley
          Cutting a straight line I get it started then plant my thumb at the side of the piece and use that to stabilize the cutting path, a bit like the pin you would use on a bandsaw when resawing old style.
          Today, 02:34 PM
        • will8989
          Wood supply
          by will8989
          We went to Groff & Groff yesterday. Purple Heart wood is stuck on a boat somewhere. They said imported exotic and hardwoods are stuck on boats. So if you see a wood you need, grab it while you can.
          Today, 09:58 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to My beauties
          by will8989
          He has 4 of the long ones, but we have other sizes that he uses for clamping up his cheese board slicers, another good seller. They go for $35, left over wood from dough board. On late shift yesterday because I took a 2 hour nap around 7. Off to the saw! I have 8 days of shows in 2 weekends! And one...
          Today, 09:49 AM
        • RJweb
          Reply to My beauties
          by RJweb
          The boards and baskets are beautiful, but maybe buy Bruce some more clamps, also I see you are on the night shift again, RJ...
          Today, 09:28 AM
        • will8989
          Reply to My beauties
          by will8989
          What Carole said. The lips are 1 1/2”, holds the board to the counter and keeps the flour from going off the back. After gluing them to the board, he drilled stainless screws through the lip into the board and made plugs to fill the holes. The board is 3/4” thick. Since he only has 4 large Bessy...
          Today, 01:20 AM
        Working...
        X