Stack cutting confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack cutting confusion

Ok, I understand the concept behind stack cutting but somewhere I'm getting lost in the translation.

I am in the process of making a couple more cow gumball machines. There are a couple of pieces, the outside body and the head, that I would like to stack cut but for the life of me I can't figure out how they would stay together once I've got them almost cut out.

Does it only work if you're doing fretwork or something with an inside cut? The pieces I want to cut don't have any inside cuts. The way my brain works, once I get towards the end with the waste portion almost gone, what's holding them together? If I've cut away the pieces with tape or brads or whatever I've secured them together with, how is it that the actual pieces stay together?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Kelly
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

For solid pieces like that, I use tiny pieces of double sided tape...I've been stealing a little bit from my wife's scrapbooking supplies. A bit of goo gone remove it when you're done.

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Thanks Bob. I won't tell your wife you're stealing her supplies.

I figured I was missing a step in there. Just like last night trying to cut out some pieces. I used the blue painters tape, then the pattern and then some clear packing tape. But the dang pattern would move once I got about half way around. I forgot you have to put some spray adhesive or glue of some sort to hold the actual pattern on. Something was telling me I shouldn't be in the shop last night and darn if I would listen. Couldn't find my pattern, then couldn't find the copied pieces I thought I had made (I hadn't made them, duh) then they wouldn't stick, broke a blade and scared me half to death. I hate when that happens. I don't need that kind of shock to the system.

Hopefully today will be better working in the shop.
      Kelly
      "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Buffalo
        Ok, I understand the concept behind stack cutting but somewhere I'm getting lost in the translation.

I am in the process of making a couple more cow gumball machines. There are a couple of pieces, the outside body and the head, that I would like to stack cut but for the life of me I can't figure out how they would stay together once I've got them almost cut out.

Does it only work if you're doing fretwork or something with an inside cut? The pieces I want to cut don't have any inside cuts. The way my brain works, once I get towards the end with the waste portion almost gone, what's holding them together? If I've cut away the pieces with tape or brads or whatever I've secured them together with, how is it that the actual pieces stay together?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
        let me take a stab at this. one of my favorite tools is the hot glue gun. when i stack cut i use hot glue. but it don't matter if you cut out the whole outside of your project. and all the pieces are ready to come apart. you can still add some hot glue again. it will come right off with some heat. or just pulling the rubber glue off. you can also. just keep some of the pieces. and hot glue them together. if you don't wont all the pieces. also i use spray addheisive. did i spell that right. lol. on you patten. and if you wont to reuse it. you can take it off with some minerale spirets. soak the papper pattern. let it stand for a few minuts. dab somemore on if need be . and the pattern will come off in one piece. you can use it again if you wont to. but remmber, you have cut it once. and it may be alittle differant. so make up the differants for you cuts with a pinsul or something. I can't say enough about hot glue. it works great for me. it holds the wood tight. with some spring clamps. while it dryes. (short time here) and it don't hurt the blade at all if you cut through it. just cut the glue off the bottom if you have too. so it don't left the work off the table. hope this made some sence and helped some your friend Evie

Comment

I forgot to add. while i am cutting and my work is bounsing around on the cuttings i have done. I follow up with my blue painters tape. on the cuts. holding the piece together. makeing it stabale like one piece of wood again. sometimes. you have to reverse the piece to tape the back too. this keeps everything stabale. while you are finishing your cuts. the tape comes off easy if you don't leave it on for days. your friend Evie

Comment

I guess I don't quite understand. Even with fretwork, in the end you have to cut around the outside of the stacked pieces, but the waste wood acts like a frame and keeps them in place. I've never had them move. I just drill a starter hole at some likely outer corner and go.

Gudrun

Comment

I agree with Gudrun.
              I use my brad nailer rather than methods that some others use when stack cutting but like Gudrun says , the outside piece acts as a frame to hold the inside together when cutting out the outside perimeter as the final stage.
              Perhaps both Gudrun and I have overlooked something in the previous messages.
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Ok I see ,. if you do not allow enouph wood to cut out the outside of the project. without cutting through the outside. i can see their point. the outside of the project does hold everything together.(like a puzzale) i still use my tape to hold things together. but if you have not allowed enouph wood on the outside of your project. to hold things together. you are wonting to know how to do this when you do right.I would guess you are saving wood. and made it as little as possaibale. cutting away the outsides as you go. so thats why i mentioned the hot glue. maybe i don't understand eather. your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                  Reply to Pattern Vault
                  by dottyblues
                  Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                  Today, 12:20 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                  I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                  In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                  I also added the...
                  Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                • will8989
                  Supermax
                  by will8989
                  Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Help help
                  by will8989
                  Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                  Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Pattern Vault
                  by KarlB
                  Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                  Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                Working...
                X