X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooaku

Hi all,

Well here it is as promised: My vision of Oakoo

The background is 3/4" Poplar spray painted flat black.
    It makes the mask really stand out.

The mask is 9/8" Padauk, finished with 2 coats of BLO/MS 50-50, and 3 coats of Deft Semi-Gloss Lacquer.

The picture is pretty accurate as to the color of the mask, the background is less reflective than it appears on the picture and a truer black.

I hope you like it all, especially Sue & Toni, and thank-you for a nice pattern/subject to cut.

Regards,
    Marcel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM. Reason: I edited the name of the mask: I had written it as Ooaku instead of Oakoo. My apologies to the designers.
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cool. is the 9/8th a typo? why not call it 1-1/8th inch thick if thats the case? It does look nice though. What ever become of the finished horse sign? Did I miss the picture posted of it finished? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi Dale,

Not a typo, just lazy. 9/8 is easier to write than 1 1/8. Same difference.

And you did not miss the horsesign, I haven't finished it yet.

I just needed another project to get me back in the mood, and hopefully will finish it soon.

Regards,
      Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

not sure what a "Ooaku" is, i lead a shelterd life.
        BUT that is nice work.

It reminds me of the mask folks hold up in front of there faces at costume partys.....pete
        Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
        "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Marcel, That is very cool. I love the way you finished it, and the way it is cut from the thicker wood. I might just do another one cut from thicker wood. Toni and Sue are gonna love it.
          Marsha
          LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Great job on that Marcel! Great choice of woods (have you gotten all the red dust off of everything yet ).
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Kudos on Oakoo

Very nice Marcel!

Thanks for showing us your cut of Oakoo. Well done!

It definately brings a smile to my face to see our designs worked, especially by a variety of people at the same time. This really is an experience. Thank you all!

Take care
              Toni

Comment

Thank-you all for the nice comments,

Marsha,
                Go for it, but read why I got a thicker piece below . It's one of those happy accidents

Pete,
                Oakoo (which I had misspelled as Ooaku) is a mask of an elemental as imagined in the mind of the great team Sue & Toni make.

The pattern can be found on the Sue Chrestensen & Toni Burghout's web site http://www.chrestensenburghoutdesigns.com/masks.htm or in the Fox-Chapel publishing new book "2006 Ultimate Scrolling Patterns Collection".

Kevin,
                I hear you about the orange dust. I was lucky that I was able to collect most of it at the source, but my hands were orange at the end of each cutting session.

Lesson learned :

Now for me to fess-up to my worse mistake on this project;
                I had just watched an episode of the New Yankee Workshop, where Norm uses a sheet of paper between two pieces he re-sawed in order to make the separation easy in the end. I had also read of this technique used in woodworking before.

I wanted to stack cut this piece so I could give one away, or maybe even try to sell it. I re-sawed my board in two and used a sheet of paper glued to both sides. Wrapped the board in packing tape, as I usually do, and stuck the pattern using 3M77 spray glue. I cut it away and removed the tape.
                I then inserted a chisel in the center line to separate the 2 pieces, tapped gently it with a wooden mallet... and ended up with a mask broken in 3 separate pieces.

Thank-you whomever invented CA glue. I was able to put the pieces back together, and it absolutely doesn't show. I now have made my peace that I only cut one mask, not two. I am not attempting to separate it again.

Respectfully,
                Marcel

Comment

Love the mask.

I've put that on one of my to do lists but it's pretty far down. I was planning on painting mine wild colors. That's what I see when I look at the mask.

But yours looks fantastic with the way you finished it.
                  Kelly
                  "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Paper & glue

I had just watched an episode of the New Yankee Workshop, where Norm uses a sheet of paper between two pieces he re-sawed in order to make the separation easy in the end.
                    Marcel,
                    I don't know what kind of paper you used, but I've used this technique a lot on my lathe work. I found the best paper to use is newspaper; the fibers separate a lot easier than general purpose typing/coping paper. Even with that, though, I'm not so sure I'd want to try it with fretwork. Usually when I'm stack cutting, taping the layers together (my preference—I know there are a lot of other ways too) is sufficient. Just wondering, why did you feel you needed to glue them together?

BTW, I've found that using a narrow putty knife instead of a chisel to separate the pieces lessens the chance of damage to the wood. You can work it into the joint and break the paper without putting a lot of pressure on the wood perpendicular to the plane of the paper.

Bruce
                    Bruce
                    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                    visit sometime
                    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Hi Bruce,

No particular reason for me to do that, except that the show made me want to try it out.

I usually just tape the pieces together also.

I was just experimenting, and it failed, so... back to the drawing board

Thanks for the newspaper Vs Copier paper tip.

Regards,
                      Marcel

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Today, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Today, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Today, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Today, 07:42 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        by NC Scroller
                        I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      Working...
                      X