Flag and Bevels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag and Bevels

Since Canada Day is right around the corner, I was playing with our flag. I quickly drew up this pattern and cut it using bevels. I couldn't help but think how cool the American flag would look with all the stars and strips.

Anyone up to the challenge?

Take care
    Toni
    Attached Files

Toni,
    That flag is very cool. I was actually talking to my boss on Wed. about him drawing me a flag so I could cut it out and send it in as a quilt tile. He is a designer of machinery and quite the artist but he was having a problem drawing the maple leaf. Have you made a tile yet, I think that would be a great one to represent us Canadian Scrollers.
    Just a thought
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Very cool idea for both of you.
      I love it.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

AHA!

I Knew it!

Alberta and Québec are the ones separated...
        by the color lines!!!

LOL,
        Marcel
        http://marleb.com
        DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

[. I couldn't help but think how cool the American flag would look with all the stars and strips.

Anyone up to the challenge?

[/QUOTE]

BRING IT ON MISSY!!!! Thats what I say! Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Tony - I have a question. There are three different levels to your flag and nthe maple leaf transitions from the lowest level to the highest. In what sequence did you cut to get a good tight fit on the stem of the leaf between the middle and the bottom level? Does that make sense?
            thanks
            MinotBob
            Makita MSJ-401
            Universal Tools:
            Remember you only really need 2 tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the Duct Tape

Comment

Stars and Stripes

Ok Dale.... lol, Lets see what you can do with the American Flag! I figure with all those stars and stripes, you could make it a real awesome piece.

I used the American Flag as a box top, cut out the stars and strips and it dawned on me then that it would be SO cool all bevelled. The challenge is all in the points to the stars, atleast it would be for me.

Take care
              Toni

Comment

Hmmm. I'll try to explain

The Canadian Flag was cut partially in bevels, partially in segmentation. The appearance of three levels comes from the bevel being pushed down somewhat at one end and raised to the full extent the bevel would allow. Then glued in place.

I tend to play around with stuff like this, never really knowing how it will turn out. This simple idea worked out well, and overall I was pleased with it. Could I do the exact same thing again - ah, I highly doubt it. Guess it all comes from playing.

Hope that helped.
                Take care
                Toni

Comment

American Flag

Here is a intarsia flag. Got the pattern from another Wood Magizine.

I have it attached to the side of my Motorhome. Needless to say it was a lot of fun cutting out the 50 stars.
                  Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                  Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                  Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Ah very nice Chuck!

One of the nicest American Flag patterns I can recall seeing.

Take care
                    Toni

Comment

totally nice job!!! I agree..best I've seen!

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Man, both of these are very kewl! I guess after looking at these there's an advantage to being French. That's the flag I'd be willing to cut out, LOL.
                        Kevin
                        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        • tgiro01
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by tgiro01
                          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                          Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Plastic puzzle
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                          Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                        Working...
                        X