Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    Thanks Neal, I was hoping you would get back soon. Once you get all these new patterns out there, you cant be talking off anymore!!!!
    I have all the parts stained now, and I did do the eye quite different. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to effectively hide the drill hole, and thought for sure I would lose that center in my tidy shop, and partly because I am lazy, I used one drill hole for each eye, and cut to the pupil, much like the segmentations I have done from the book with a zebra on the cover. Otherwise, I think its coming along nicely. It was really pretty easy to cut out, and a fun change from fancy fretwork. It is a shame though that I dont change blades often as I should, now theres a little burned edge on some of the white areas, but it'll look fine. I am hoping to get a chance to glue it up thursday evening after the 4H kid leaves, but I dont keep my hopes up to much ,it never seems to work out when I plan ahead like that). I will definatly post a picture as soon as I get it done.
    funny sidenote, last night we trapped a ratcoon out here because my wife is sick of him tearing through our garbage every night. I told her he was just looking for something to eat, but she found no humor in it. So, now he was relocated to a woods a couple miles away. And, it was a him, if it were a nursing mother I would have set it free here again. I like them lil buggers. Dale

Leave a comment:

• Neal Moore
    replied
    Ratcoon

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Dale. I just got back home about 20 minutes ago. The round center or pupil of the eye is jet black. I color that with a black magic marker and then dip it in dark walnut stain. The round colored part of the eye was dipped in golden oak stain and then dark walnut was applied very sparingly around the perimeter with a fine brush and allowed to bleed into the golden oak. The small white highlights are put in with white gesso or acrylic. You can use a fine paintbrush or a toothpick for that part. As far as the relief goes, I made the nose the highest and just sort of let everything fall back from there. If you look closely at the picture you can pretty much see how each segment is positioned. Post a pic. when you're done with it....I'd really like to see how it turns out!!! You can't mess it up so be creative and add your own personal touch to it!!!

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    started a topic Neal Moore raccoon question

Neal Moore raccoon question

Mainly to Neal, but everybodys input is ok.

The centers of the raccoons eye....... what did you use?

Can you give me a suggested raising schedule, as to what looked best when you did it?

I ask this simply because I notice the eye looks glossy in the magazine, almost as if its a glass eye. And, about the raising, I never seem to be totally happy with the way I get them glued up, I always look back and think "I should have done it this way? or that way? " You know? I did eliminate the bottom-most piece to my "ratcoon" simply because of how I intend to display it. Thanks for any help, and its a great project! Dale

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Blades
    by Linda In Phoenix
    My preference would be Flying Dutchman #5, as it could handle it if you needed some tighter turns---and going to a #7 or #9 if doing a lot of straighter cuts. Plywood does dull blades a bit faster though, no matter the blade brand choice. The best blade is kinda a broad question---every brand works...
    Yesterday, 10:28 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Blades
    by Linda In Phoenix
    I totally agree with Dan (dgman). I prefer Flying Dutchmans for most things, but I know others who absolutely swear by other top brands, and almost everyone go thumbs down on generics after trying the name brands---and the price difference is next to nothing if you know where to buy. Some suppliers...
    Yesterday, 10:22 PM
  • dgman
    Reply to Blades
    by dgman
    Wow, that is a loaded question! You will get a lot of opinions, but the best answer is the ones that work for you. My suggestion is to order or buy several types and sizes and brands, and use what works for you. I would suggest you not buy the generic blades you find in local hardware stores. The top...
    Yesterday, 09:52 PM
  • woodvender
    Blades
    by woodvender
    What are the sharpest smoothest cutting blades for scroll saws
    Yesterday, 08:12 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Giraffe Scene and Puzzle
    by Linda In Phoenix
    Cool mix of intarsia and puzzle! very nice
    Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Working...