Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship

Hi

This is a Diamond Fretsaw and bandsawn box, from Australian Red Cedar, titled "Ship" I hope you enjoy,

Tony Ward
    Bandsaw Box Plans
    Attached Files

Great work on that one Tony;
    Thanks for showing your excellent craftsmanship.
    I presume you are making your own patterns? ? ?

I have made dozens of Bandsaw boxes . All my patterns were out of a book which I purchased except for one which is of my own design . It is the one with the clock in it which can be viewed near the bottom of the album at this link.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...23&uid=1718813
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Thank you for your kind words

William,

thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

For me making sculpted bandsawn boxes is the best thing that has happened to me since I was married and had a family.

Yes, I like to push the boundaries and experiment with functional shapes and designs and to be able to share that.

Be good,
      Tony Ward
      Bandsaw Box Plans

Comment

The Dome Clock !

.. my own design . It is the one with the clock in it which can be viewed near the bottom of the album at this link.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...23&uid=1718813[/QUOTE]

William

that is fanastic, to be able to visualise and plan such a work is well beyond the capacity of most people - well done!

Comment

Tony..thanks for sharing the pic of the ship box..I went to your site ..WOW..you've made some beautiful pieces! I also really like how you've set up your galleries and web pages..very easy to navigate and view/appreciate your work.

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Wowie!

Hi Tony,

That is really nice.
            I like the fluidity of the design, and can see why you named it "Ship"

I went to look at your website and was wondering: What is that fantasmagoric piece of wood in the left uppper hand corner? It is a beauty!

I'll go back and visit more in depth, you are doing something of interest to me. I have meant to do bandsaw boxes for a while, but haven't gotten to it. I think you will be an inspiration for me to move my butt

respectfully,
            Marcel
            http://marleb.com
            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hi Tony
              Thanks for the kind words
              In the heading of your reply to me you added
              The Dome Clock
              That led me to beleive that you clicked on some other albums in my site.
              NO . . I did not design the Dome clock. That is a fairly popular pattern from Wildwooddesigns and much easier to cut out and assemble than it looks. . But I couldn't begin to design a fretwork pattern of that magnitude. I like cutting them out but I don't like designing them.

The one that I was referring to was the bandsaw box with a clock in it near the bottom of my Bandsaw Box album.
              Sorry if that caused any misunderstanding.
              Band Saw boxes are fun to make . It is just like "big" scrollsawing on the bandsaw and the drawer pulls are the only parts I made on the scroll saw.
              Here is the one of my own design that I was referring to. One with drawers closed and one with drawers opened to show the flocking on the interior. I only made two of them. Hopefully some day I will get time to make some more.
              I know I have that pattern stashed away here somewhere amoung my thousands of other patterns.
              Those two were actually made in seven glued up layers from recycling free pallet wood
              W.Y.

Comment

Bill,
                That box is excellent, and your own design, I am impressed. I think it should be next weeks pic of the week. You mention the flocking in the drawers, is that the spray on flocking that's available, or is it felt glued on? Do you think it would work on the drawers of a chess cabinet?
                Marsha
                Last edited by Marsha; 06-16-2006, 02:29 PM.
                LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

[QUOTE=William Young (SE BC)]Hi Tony
                  Thanks for the kind words
                  ...... made in seven glued up layers from recycling free pallet wood
                  W.Y.

William

My error, a case of mistaken identity. Your design is great, I like the fact that you have used recycled timber - there is no such thing as scrap wood. What glue did you use for the laminations?

I can see that you've transferred your scrollsaw skills to the bandsaw and achieved a smooth drawer edge. Have you used sleepers to re-position and centralise the drawers within the cabinet cavity, that information is available in the free download plans.

Tony Ward
                  Bandsaw Box Plans

Comment

It is Tasmanian Sassafras

.....wood in the left upper hand corner? It is a beauty!

Marcel

thankyou for your kind words. The work you are referring to left upper hand corner) is my Mascot known as "E.T.", it is Tasmanian Sassafras, Black Heart variety.

Nature is a far better artisan than I will ever be!

Tony Ward

Comment

Marsha ;
                      Yes , that is the spray on flocking I got from Lee Valley. It is very durable. I have used it in jewelry boxes and cutlery boxes and turned pen display cases and it stands up very well . Better than I expected. Should work very well on the drawers of a chess cabinet.
                      Here it is in green in one of my three pen display cases.

Tony;
                      I used Titebond11 yellow carpenters glue for the laminations.
                      Not sure what you are referring to about the sleepers. I just sawed and sanded carefully on an oscillating spindle sander to get a nice fit on the drawers. I will check out the free download plans you mention. I made those boxes before I learned to properly round off the edges more on the front of the drawers and the front edges of the case to give them more of a depth look. Lots of little tricks in making bandsw boxes as you know but it is very rewarding to see how well they are accepted as gifts and at craft sales .
                      W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by Chuck Hans
                        Congrats on all accounts,
                        I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                        Today, 08:51 PM
                      • cwmagee
                        Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                        by cwmagee
                        Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                        Today, 03:36 PM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                        Today, 02:56 PM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by NC Scroller
                        I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                        Today, 11:24 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by NC Scroller
                        Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                        Today, 11:18 AM
                      Working...
                      X