Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on a Horse

Hi,

Just thought I'd give you an update on the address sign I'm working on.

BTW, I have found out that I hate cutting anything this big (22"x33" approx)

I have used FD #5 Reverse Spiral to cut. I have mitigated feelings about that: I like the fact that you don't have to swing the project everywich way to get the cut done, but since it was my first time using spirals I found them hard to control, specially given the size of the project and how akward I found it to maneuver.

I still have a lot of sanding to do to correct as much as possible what I consider bad cuts (wavy).

Anyway, lots of work still left to do, and I find myself procrastinating on the project. This one is definitely not getting classified under the category "hobby" (see my signature).

With the help of Adobe photo elements I also have made it look like what I hope it will with the finish on it, for comparison.

Regards,
    Marcel

PS: I removed shop clutter in the background
    Attached Files
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

wow Marcel Very Nice

thats a big horsey

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

I still think I would have used a flat blade, even if it meant attacking it from diffrent angles when you ran out of throat on the saw. Looks ok though, the pictures show up kind of goofy, so its really hard to judge how crooked or straight it really is. It will look great once your done! dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I like the design of the horse as well as the sign Marcel. Quite the undertaking for using a spiral blade (for the first time). I have used some #5 spiral blades but not the #5 reverse spiral, did you find them to be aggressive?

"This one is definitely not getting classified under the category "hobby" (see my signature)."

Funny how a commissioned piece does that! lol I've almost come to the conclusion that you should cut what you like and it will find a home!

I'm sure that the finished piece will be one that your proud of and the customer will love!
        Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 06-13-2006, 02:46 AM.
        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

That is gonna be so gorgeous!

Comment

As Dale said, it is tough to see the detail, especially the edges, but my overall impression is "nicely done". IMHO, spiral reverse blades are VERY aggressive. I'd have attacked this with flat blades (FD-SR #5 or 7), and used spirals only for the veins - and only after I'd run a flat blade down the vein line. But that unsolicited opinion aside - I'd wager your customer will be ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with the finished piece!!!! Thanks for the progress post. Good luck on the numbers.
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Marcel, I think you done your self proud. the pattern is great. and the use of a spirale really does help in a project this big. I find them hard to handale too. but on most of this work , the waivy lines are ok. one of the things I do. is alternate blades in a work like this one. like Dale said. you can attack the line,taking the blade out and turn the work around , or even turn your blade around and cut backwards. (thats fun) from differant derictions.I keep a few clamps loaded with differant blade sizes, ready to feed in the holes that i wont to do a straighter cut.also differant kerf widths. I can only see one place where the line does stand out waivy. sanding or filing will clean it up. but you can also use a straight blade. using the burr to sand off some of the wood. this is really beutiful. thank you for sharing it. your friend Evie

Comment

That is a very nice design and it looks fine in the pictures, nicely done. The only spiral blade that I like to use is the "new spiral" I have only used the 2/0 but it is a very controllable spiral. I can actually cut straight lines with it. It is not a reverse blade so it does fuzz significantly.

A horses head IS all wavy
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I too cant imaging using a #5 spiral. I think a number 0 is the biggest I care to use. When I use spirals, its always a 2/0, and no reverse teeth. Dale
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Marcel I have to agree with Dale here. I don't think I would use a revers tooth spiral eather. but it is a sign, maybe you was trying to save your self some sanding on the back. but it does leave some sawdust in the kerf. and were and ter on the blade. sanding the back is alot easyer than cleaning out the kerf. sandpapper is cheaper than blades. lol. like i know anything,. no matter what you did or done, it looks great to me. and i am sure your customer will be so pleased. I know i would be. your friend Evie

Comment

I like this project enormously. It must be hugely appealing to horse owners everywhere and I reckon it would look marvellous outside stables.

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Today, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Today, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Today, 07:42 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        by NC Scroller
                        I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                        Today, 07:39 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                        Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                      Working...
                      X