Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia & Segmentation

Hello All,
    Could someone explain the difference between Intarsia & segmentation?
    Is there a difference or is it just a preference for how different scrollers refer to their work?
    Thanks
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Hi Marsha:
    I started scrolling late last year and fell in love with doing "Intarsia". I like cutting and shaping various woods to form a picture. I have done 3 patterns and two more in the making. See my gallery. My quilt contribution was also Intarsia.

I often asked myself a similiar question as you posted. I think I found the best basic answer at :
    http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...egmentrev.html
    in the "Review" paragraph. I hope this helps explain it for you. Both Intarsia and Segmentation can range from the simple to complex. Simple segmentation can be done with MDF and painted. Intarsia uses the natural color and grain effects of the wood.

I see you are in Hamilton - just down the highway from me in Whitby. Small world! Drop me a PM if you have any specific Intarsia questions. I will share my experiences.

Bob
    Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

My understanding is that Segmentation is using the one piece of timber to cut the pieces out (pieces easily fit back in place) you then shape them like intarsia and either paint or stain to get the desired colours.

Intarsia is using seperate pieces of timber to get the desired colours through the piece, you shape them etc, just harder to get a good fit with the pieces.
      Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!!

Comment

Hello All,
        Thanks very much for your responses.

Bob: the website you posted explained the difference very well.

Thanks Again
        Marsha
        LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sawdustus
          Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
          by sawdustus
          Thanks for the info Denny. When I cut acrylic I always use a skip tooth blade at a slower speed. I just did not realize that the epoxy would cut the same way as acrylic so I followed the materials list in the article.
          George
          Today, 12:39 PM
        • sawdustus
          Reply to tooth fairy box
          by sawdustus
          OK folks, picture. I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here is one each of my version of the oak and cherry boxes. Note the axle peg holding the top in place but allowing it to move.
          George
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Today, 12:34 PM
        • sawdustus
          Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
          by sawdustus
          OK folks, picture....I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here are a few of the autumn leaves I cut against the beautiful blue sky we had this morning.
          George
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Today, 12:32 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to What do you make
          by will8989
          Now the work really begins. Total of 14! Guess I forgot about some I previously cut....
          Yesterday, 10:09 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Pegas blades
          by will8989
          Thanks. No hurry I have 2 gross. Hopefully it will as just a few blades.
          Yesterday, 10:03 PM
        Working...
        X