question for the group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for the group

I know this is probabley the wrong area to post this question but I know I will get the most responses here. If you could only buy one which would it be and WHY? a jointer or a surface planer? All responses are greatly appreciated.
    Mike

Mike:

Typically, for Scroll Saw work, you will get more use from a surface planner.

If you buy your lumber at the nominal (for USA) thickness of 3/4 inch (aka "1 by") the advanced woodworker will re-saw the lumber with a bandsaw and surface plane it to be 2 boards of 1/4 inch. ( the other 1/4 inch goes to bandsaw kerf and surface planner waste.)

A surface planner does not produce a perfectly flat surface parallel to the opposite surface, close but no cigar. Nor can it give you an accurate 90 degree square board edge to surface angle.

If you are doing mostly traditional woodworking hobby work, cabinet making, you will find the need to square the edges to the top surface. Also you will need to have a "flat" edge. Only a jointer can give you this. However, a jointer is not a good tool for producing a specific thickness of lumber. You can do it, but it is not the best tool for thicknessing.

By the way: There is a now a tool called a thickness sander. Made just to get 1/4 inch wood down to 3/16 or 1/8 inch thick. Very few of the hobby (less than $300.00 USD) surface planners are able to surface wood below 1/4 inch with out huge tear out.

Either way, for my money anyway, the need for a Dust Collector system is 1st. Until you start working with either tool, you have no idea of the volume of waste these tools make.

Phil

Comment

A surface planer.

You can get uniform thicknesses on a surface planer, even if starting with rough timber, by making a sled under it. A jointer cant make an even thickness all the way through because you are resting one side on the table as you feed the wood. once you flip your board for the other side, that even edge is up, and not against the table. Also, wider wood can be surfaced on a planer. And yes, a sander like a performax is a priceless tool for cleaning up lumber! Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I would go for the surface planer too if i could
        Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!!

Comment

Planer. And if you don't have one already - a DUST COLLECTOR or some other means of catching the sawdust at the source. These things make a mess.
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Ditto.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I could not get by without both of those machines. If you only have room for one why not go for a combination unit with a planer under and a jointer on top.
              Rhys H.

Comment

For scolling I would go with the surface planer. I just bought the Dewalt 13""
                If you do not have a dust collector the Dewalt has such a powerful blower you could get away with connecting a hose to it venting it into a cloth covered barrel.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                  Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                  by cwmagee
                  A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                  Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Rolf
                  Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                  That is...
                  Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                • Jimern
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by Jimern
                  The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                  Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                Working...
                X