Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to make miter corners with a scroll saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make miter corners with a scroll saw?

I am thinking about making a memory box. I would like to make it with mitered corners. Can I do it with a scroll saw? I don't have any more room in my workspace for another tool so buying something to do the job isn't the answer. Or is there another type of corner I should use?

Hi wickens,

First I'd like to welcome you here.

You will find it difficult to do mitered corners on the scrollsaw (notice I did not say impossible) but cutting a straight line is not the easiest thing to do on the scrollsaw.

Have you thought about using a handsaw and miter box?
    It would be a lot easier than on the scrollsaw, doesn't take much room and isn't expensive.

As far as other types of joints on the scrollsaw : You could use dovetails, I've done a clothing pin box for my wife that way ( http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/3814). I suppose finger joints would be feasible. And Lap joints are another possibility.

I'm sure others may have suggestions too.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Wickens,
      I remember reading something about doing dovetails on a scrollsaw, so I went digging through my magazines. Yep. Here it is. SSW Issue #19 (Summer 2005). The same article also shows you how to make wooden hinges for that memory box. Below is a link for making a table saw jig which may also help you out with miter corners and some other aspects of your box.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/articles/...aw-Joinery.php

Don't forget to post pictures when your done. We love to see people showing off what they can do.

Jim
      Jim
      DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Originally posted by wickens
        I am thinking about making a memory box. I would like to make it with mitered corners. Can I do it with a scroll saw? I don't have any more room in my workspace for another tool so buying something to do the job isn't the answer. Or is there another type of corner I should use?
        abasuluty, wickens. I cut all my miter cuts on the scroll saw. let me see if i can bring http://www.betterwoodworking.com/compound_miter.htmup the miter calculator. scuss my spelling your freind Evie

Comment

Evie, please retype in the link you posted. I think the last few letters are mixed up, the link doesnt work. Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

nevermind evie..... I read your mind! http://www.betterwoodworking.com/compound_miter.htm
            Thats evies link!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

What a useful link - thanks .

I wouldn't attempt cutting mitres on a scroll saw - like Marcel says, a handsaw and miter box or even a dedicated miter saw would be much more accurate (and cheap, too). There's a reason why manufacturer's are able to sell tools that are dedicated to this task.

Until Evie said she cuts miter joints, I would have said it was impossible to cut them accurately with a scroll saw. However, Evie's so talented she's quite capable of scrolling cuts that mere mortals would find impossible!

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

use a shooting board.

The problem of keeping a straight edge while cutting mitres on a scroll saw has been mentioned here a few times. You can cut the wood on the saw and then true it up after with a shooting board.

This is just a simple jig that has a surface on the angle of the miter and a surface perpendicular to the miter.
                You place the wood on the jig and sand or plane the edge till it is true.
                Attached Files
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Depending on the size of the joint I do my miters on a disk sander.
                  If it is too big I use my table saw or a router table with a 45 deg bit.
                  That is a great web site Evie, thanks.
                  Last edited by Rolf; 06-09-2006, 02:22 PM.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X