Hand scroll saws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand scroll saws.

Hi group. I have been thinking of trying my hand at some hand saws. don't know if thats the right way to say that. but. in a other thread. Fred said , he was giving up fishing to scroll saw. lol. NOT ME. I have for some time been admireing the Miland Cathedrale . that August & maria Theunis of Diksmuide Belgium. Made , useing hand fretsaws.you can find this in the SSW #22 . Spring 2006 Page 12. does anyone know what kind of saws those are. and where can i find one. are there other sizes? I think it would be a kick to try.not to mention, it is portabale. Also, has any one ever seen a demo. on how to use one, in fretwork.? thanks for any impho. thanks your friend Evie

Sounds like fun Evie , could ya let me know what ya find out ?

Thank you ,
    Charlie
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

I am not sure what type of saw they are using.
      You can get a reasonable saw from Lee Valley
      I have one from Sandvik which is quite nice. I also went to garage sales and picked a several up.
      Woodzone also has a frame.

I have a jeweler's saw which will allow me to use any size blade, even broken ones but the throat is quite small.

Coping saws usually don't have the same blade length, but you could use one in a pinch. I bet if you look on ebay you could find an old one with a nice balance, I really think that is the key to reducing fatigue.

Also when you set the tension on the blade the handle is held against your stomache. You squeeze the frame together, clamp and then release. A leather apron protects you. You would be amazed at the tenderness of using the same spot all the time
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

thanks Carl. I am looking into your link. Boy that would have tackein along time to chang blades. I will look into what size blades that are availabale. But I still think it would be fun. addicted you know. your friend Evie Ps. sounds like good exercise too. Charlie we will both follow the Thread,.and if you find out anything let me know. lol
        Last edited by minowevie; 05-25-2006, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Evie

ACmoore craft store has something similar, adjustible for any size blade.
          Dont remember what i paid......pete

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/jewelry...es_frames.html
          Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
          "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Wildwood has some hand saws at http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/searc...earchbyprice=0

They are not terribly expensive. I own one, but only use it for demonstrations. It is harder to be accurate in your cuts as you have so much more to deal with than when you are working with a machine. You will REALLY appreciate all the effort that goes into a project like Evie was talking about when you find out how much harder it is to use a hand saw.

Personally, I'm glad I own one. I don't ever expect to do a lot of work with it, but it would be a way to scroll with an absolute minimum expense.

Comment

I hate using those types of saw. They're unbalanced. I once had the pleasure of holding a 1917 fret saw which was weighted at the front of the handle to counter the weight of the frame. It would have been a dream to use.
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Evie,
                You think you have a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome now wait till you use a handsaw for a few hours.
                My father cut a HO scale model of a German train station out with one when he was 16. We still have it. Next time I am at my Mom’s I will get a picture and post it.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

This is the newest one from Hegner.
                  By moving the red tube back, the handle goes forward and moves about 1/4’ up. Now put a blade in the top and tightened it with the quick knob on the bottom. move handle back and you have tension on the blade.
                  With the old one you had to press the upper part of the frame down and than try to tightened the blade. This is done to hold the frame against your stomach.
                  The blade to use is one with no reverse teeth, don’t cut any thicker wood than from 1/8" to 1/4". With a hand frame you almost never get to the reverse teeth.
                  I think this would be great to take to a craft show. It is an attention getter and how more people you get at your booth how more or better changes you have to get a buyer.
                  Theunis and Maria from Belgium use a 30 cm hand frame. They made the Cathedral from Milan using that hand frame. I have the pattern.
                  Mike M

SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 3_M

This is the newest one from Hegner.
                    By moving the red tube back, the handle goes forward and moves about 1/4’ up. Now put a blade in the top and tightened it with the quick knob on the bottom. move handle back and you have tension on the blade.
                    With the old one you had to press the upper part of the frame down and than try to tightened the blade. This is done to hold the frame against your stomach.
                    The blade to use is one with no reverse teeth, don’t cut any thicker wood than from 1/8" to 1/4". With a hand frame you almost never get to the reverse teeth.
                    I think this would be great to take to a craft show. It is an attention getter and how more people you get at your booth how more or better changes you have to get a buyer.
                    Theunis and Maria from Belgium use a 30 cm hand frame. They made the Cathedral from Milan using that hand frame. I have the pattern.
                    Mike M

Hi Mike. I am so pleased to here from you again. we have missed you. you are a bundale of imphomation. drats is that a word. thank you for the picture. and the great impho. I will surly look into that. and I would love to buy that pattern. if it is for sale. I do have to say. I am so glad to have my electric Hegner. it makes fretting so much faster. but I am still aaaaaaaaawwwww buy what people did in the past. and for theunist and Maria. even though they had acksess to modern saws they chose to cut this great projet by hand . awsum. Please don't be a stanger. we need you. your friend Evie and we love you

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                      Evie,
                      You think you have a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome now wait till you use a handsaw for a few hours.
                      My father cut a HO scale model of a German train station out with one when he was 16. We still have it. Next time I am at my Mom’s I will get a picture and post it.
                      Rolf. I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. its a repetitive engery. maybe the same thing. lol. like I would know. but yes you are right. I would be in so much troubale. for sure. BUT would still like to try.
                      and by the way. I would so love to see a pic of your fathers Ho scale model of the German train station. that would be a great insperation to me.

and Gill a 1917 Weighted at the front of the saw. wow. now that would be cool. where could I see something like that. ? I am such a scrollsaw junkie. love all the old tools. how did they do it then. must have been made of iron don't you think. your friend Evei

Comment

I say Dont fret the small stuff, give me a saw with a motor!!!!
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I'm with you, Dale - there's a good reason why mechanical saws are so popular!

Evie - Doug Woodward showed me the saw the last time I was at his workshop talking about quick tension release levers. He wanted to make the point that these levers have been around in scrolling for years and years, they're not just a recent development. That hand saw was perfectly balanced - it was made of steel and quite light with a blade cam lock instead of the screws that modern hand saws have. To accommodate the cam mechanism, the handle was positioned just a little behind the jaws of the frame; if you look at the picture of the saw that Mike's posted, it was where the red meets the black. The 1917 saw also had a wooden handle that was serpentinely shaped so that it sat comfortably in the palm of the hand, rather like a pistol-grip.

It was a lovely, lovely tool and I only wish I had a photo to show you. Modern manufacturers could learn a lot from its design.

Gill
                          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thanks Gill. I am going to keep my eyes open for that saw. You know I am not going to give up my Hegner, buy any means. .l but I am that pationat over all the old ways of doing things . would you believe I have 5 sewing machines. and yes one is a treaddal. I just think I, could chalandg myself to do a project or two out of the hand saw. thanks for all the help guys. your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X