Coat rack order completed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coat rack order completed!

Thought I'd post a pic of the coat rack my new neighbors ordered the other day. Cut out of 3/8 ash, finished with Danish oil and 3 coats MinWax Poly. Used FD Polar #5 blades, stack cut 2 and had a 1/8 plywood backer. About 32" wide, almost 10" tall at the widest. Cherry stained poplar for the "back" board, cherry coat pegs (turned on my lathe).

Hope you enjoy - critisisms welcome too

HPIM0048 (575 x 202).jpg
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Very nicely done!
    Rustic but elegant, unique combo!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Nice work Bear,

It's got that "Rustic" feeling to it while being elegant.

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Good looking, Bear!
        I'd say that you have the "rustic elegant" look nailed. No criticisms here, except that I didn't get one!
        Sandy

Comment

Looks good Bear, I really like the grain on that ash slab.
          wish I had some

Bill
          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Hi Bear. this is really quit nice. I just love rustic. is the not hole at the top for hanging. and I love the Irises. you scrolled out. that must have been fun right in the not. lol. also the bark around the sides really give it a naturale look. just love it. me too wish I had some Ash growing on my property. you always do such nice projects. your frined Evie

Comment

Thats is a uniquely beautiful piece. That should bring you $100 a piece!! Sandy placed the first order! dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks!

You folks are good for the EGO! Thank you all for the kind words. I hope you will tell me when you see something that you don't like or think would look better because that is how we will all get better at this wonderful hobby of ours.

I can easily take care of your "problem" Sandy, all it takes is an order....

Dale - You crack me up! If you include prep, sanding, taping, mounting the pattern, cutting, removing the tape/pattern, sanding, oiling, sanding, and 3 coats of varnish, I've got 1 1/2 hours into it. Remember, I cut two and made 2. Total materials cost is 2 FD Polar #5 blades, a few feet of tape, a snoodge of spray glue, a bit of oil, a little varnish, a sheet of sandpaper, and the wood. Bottom line is $35 each ($30/hr shop time + (materials X 2) Both sold before they were done. If I can find some similar wood, I'll up my price!

Thanks again!
                ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                  You folks are good for the EGO! Thank you all for the kind words. I hope you will tell me when you see something that you don't like or think would look better because that is how we will all get better at this wonderful hobby of ours.

I can easily take care of your "problem" Sandy, all it takes is an order....

Dale - You crack me up! If you include prep, sanding, taping, mounting the pattern, cutting, removing the tape/pattern, sanding, oiling, sanding, and 3 coats of varnish, I've got 1 1/2 hours into it. Remember, I cut two and made 2. Total materials cost is 2 FD Polar #5 blades, a few feet of tape, a snoodge of spray glue, a bit of oil, a little varnish, a sheet of sandpaper, and the wood. Bottom line is $35 each ($30/hr shop time + (materials X 2) Both sold before they were done. If I can find some similar wood, I'll up my price!

Thanks again!
                  Bear the only probleam is you just need to post more of your projects. I can't help it. i just don't seem to find fault in your work. so maybe you can find fault in mine , and I will learn. your friend Evie

Comment

Sorry Evie, just realized I didn't answer your question.

No, the knot is CA glued in place. I use cabinet clips to hang these. Locks them in nice and tight. Thanks for the kind words.

D. Platt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                      Today, 08:18 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Rolf
                      That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                      Today, 08:16 AM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by Quartz43
                      I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                      Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                      Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                    • Misouri Wayne
                      Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                      by Misouri Wayne
                      Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                      Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                    Working...
                    X