Business sign - Now finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business sign - Now finished

Completed cutting out a small sign (24" wide, up tp 8" wide) for my booth at the local craft mall today. Will start the "finishing" process tomorrow, but thought I'd show it off and maybe get a few idea's on how you would finish it..... So, pleez fir away some suggestions.

Wood is lightly spalted walnut, 3/8" thick. Cut with FD Polar #5. I also used a 1/4" birch plywood backer to minimize frizzies.

HPIM0031 (600 x 208).jpg
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Simple beauty! Go with Danish oil, topped with a good quality spar polyurethane. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Looks great! I'd go with Dale's recommendation on the oil and spar urethane. Might even try just the urethane alone on the back first.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

That is really pretty

Comment

Kewl Looks great
          Charlie
          "Everything Happens for a Reason"
          Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

looks great just wipe on poly.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/uid3726744

Comment

Great looking sigh, you did good.

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Yep me too. looks great. I love spolted anything. your work is alway awsum. your friend Evie.

Comment

Looks just spiffy to me too. That font is perfect for it - simple elegance. Danish oil will bring out the grain and figure, and the poly will protect it like the treasure it is.
                  Sandy

Comment

Now It's Finished!

Again, thanks for all the helpful idea's and compliments.

Here it is, after a coat of Danish Oil and three coats of Minwax Gloss Poly.

24" long, about 8" wide, and 3/8 thick. I kinda like it myself
                    HPIM0063 (580 x 235).jpg
                    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

good work, after adding the finish the letters are clearer and easier to
                      read which will be more inviting to your customers.
                      Bill
                      Delta P-20

Comment

I agree, the finish really made the letters "pop." Great job. Thanks for reminding me btw, I need to get around to making up a new sign for my booth, I may have to steal your idea.

PS
                        Didja get my e-mail with the patterns?
                        Kevin
                        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Very nice Bear,

I see you are keeping with the "Alaskan Elegant Rustic" style (I'll have to copyright that )

The finish did make a big difference on the letters, for the better.
                          And good choice of Fonts

Respectfully,
                          Marcel
                          http://marleb.com
                          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Its magic! My thread was renamed like I asked! Cool. THANKS!

Oh, thanks for the comments as well. Good to hear from you Bronco.

Jedi - YES, patterns received THANK YOU. I thought I replied, but obviously not. Too busy to cut at the moment but definitely will and post results.

Marcel - "Alaskan Rustic" - Nice ring......I bought 11 pieces of that walnut in 4 foot lengths, so will be doing "rustic" stuff until it is gone.

Off to the real job.....

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                              Again, thanks for all the helpful idea's and compliments.

Here it is, after a coat of Danish Oil and three coats of Minwax Gloss Poly.

24" long, about 8" wide, and 3/8 thick. I kinda like it myself
                              [ATTACH]602[/ATTACH]
                              Now that did make a great differance. looks great. I just love that wood, of course i love most all your projects. in any wood. your friend. Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Bread and Cheese..
                                by keystonecop
                                ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                                Today, 12:08 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                                by keystonecop
                                This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                                Today, 12:01 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by jim_mex
                                Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by will8989
                                That is beautiful. Your design?
                                Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X