Lanterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanterns

I am making the lanterns from this month's SSW, only I want to make them candle holders instead of electric lights. What safety precautions do I need to use? I suspect the glass votive candles are the safest candles, but I'm afraid of fire with the rice paper. Do I need to use a layer of sand in the bottom or anything like that? Any advice is deeply appreciated Thanks!

You cannot have anything on the top of the lantern, you would be amazed at how much heat even a little tea light will produce.
    When I have made candle sconces I have used a forstner bit to drill a hole for a tea light.

If you are using votives I would recommend using a glass holder.
    Tea lights on the otherhand usually come in small aluminum or plastic holders.

I have used plain printer paper in lanterns before that I have rubbed with mineral oil. I wouldnt worry about using sand. That could get messy.
    The real safety precaution here is to not leave the candles unattended.
    I did pick up some solid state LED candles that run on batteries. They look quite good when illuminating through paper. You may want to try this apporach too.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hey, I didn't know about the LED candles I want to make these for my son for his birthday, he is crazy about candles. Thanks for the excellent advice!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
        Reply to My computer issues.
        by Rolf
        Thanks John.
        Today, 08:36 AM
      • Rolf
        Reply to Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw
        by Rolf
        The lack of service facilities is an industry wide problem not just in the SS world. To find tech savvy factory support is rare.
        I am fortunate that I can fix most anything myself. I don't have a Pegas saw or I would dig into one. The big problem is most tools like Pegas are sold by distributors...
        Today, 08:31 AM
      • Sandy Oaks
        by Sandy Oaks
        As a Pegas dealer, I think I will chime in on this thread. It was a huge mistake to let Bob Duncan go, but I don’t know the circumstances. I Had a customer with a tension lever problem. I sent a new lever, but there was a question on how to replace it. They passed my email on to someone and he...
        Today, 08:25 AM
      • hotshot
        by hotshot
        They need Bob back desperately....
        Today, 07:44 AM
      • Tom in Ashland
        by Tom in Ashland
        The receptacle on the Festool dust collector can be a little particular about the things plugged into it. If the prongs do not fit tightly it sometimes does not work - bend them out very slightly and you may be good to go. I have one tool that has that problem.
        Yesterday, 07:02 PM
      Working...
      X