Purchasing recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing recommendation

I've been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. Looking at a couple of options for a scroll saw upgrade. These seem to be decent deals: 1) Dewalt 788 that's 6yrs old with basically no use--includes the saw, light, stand and HTC mobile base for $250 (within driving distance to pickup) and 2) RBI Hawk 220vs 2yrs old with no use--includes saw and stand for $500 (located cross country which requires packing by the owner and another approximately $70 out of my pocket to ship). I don't do a whole lot of scroll sawing, but my 12yr old 16" delta isn't that much fun to use and I got the idea I wanted to upgrade. Surveying the various WW boards I have gathered that folks have good opinions about both saws. I have tested the Hawk at the woodworking shows and always walked away saying I would love to have one someday but $1000+ for an infrequently used tool didn't make sense. I've I have also given the Delta a try and it seems to be a well designed tool too. Any recommendations

Absolutely drive out and see the dewalt. hear it run, and listen for knocks, or excessive vibration at diffrent speeds. if it sounds ok and runs smooth, I wouldnt hesitate on taking it home with you! Where about are you located? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Like Dale said they are both very good saws. But I would go the other way, for the price the Hawk is a steal. You might decide to use one more later on, and you could never wear the Hawk out. I just can't believe anyone would sell one for that price.

Comment

I live in MD. Just about decided on the Hawk. I think for the price, even including shipping this is a good deal. Thinking this will be a lasting scroller for me. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

You are right, either way, you cant go wrong, both are good saws. Congrats on the new saw. I am sure you will be happy with either one. It will bring your scrolling to a whole new level. Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have a 20" RBI Hawk, and I sure wish it had been only $570!! The DeWalt is also a good saw, but I would jump on that Hawk right now. They are a joy to use. I cannot see how I would ever need any better saw than the Hawk - I just love it(of course, things could change - I guess I'd better keep an open mind, just in case!)
            Whichever you get, you will have a lot of fun scrolling. Good luck and let us know what you decide, and how it turns out.
            Sandy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to My computer issues.
              by Rolf
              Thanks John.
              Today, 08:36 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Festool vac and Pegas scroll saw
              by Rolf
              The lack of service facilities is an industry wide problem not just in the SS world. To find tech savvy factory support is rare.
              I am fortunate that I can fix most anything myself. I don't have a Pegas saw or I would dig into one. The big problem is most tools like Pegas are sold by distributors...
              Today, 08:31 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a Pegas dealer, I think I will chime in on this thread. It was a huge mistake to let Bob Duncan go, but I don’t know the circumstances. I Had a customer with a tension lever problem. I sent a new lever, but there was a question on how to replace it. They passed my email on to someone and he...
              Today, 08:25 AM
            • hotshot
              by hotshot
              They need Bob back desperately....
              Today, 07:44 AM
            • Tom in Ashland
              by Tom in Ashland
              The receptacle on the Festool dust collector can be a little particular about the things plugged into it. If the prongs do not fit tightly it sometimes does not work - bend them out very slightly and you may be good to go. I have one tool that has that problem.
              Yesterday, 07:02 PM
            Working...
            X