Woodpecker Door Knocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodpecker Door Knocker

A neighbor has asked me to make him a woodpecker door knocker. You know the kind that you pull a string to have the bird knock on a wooden back plate. It would be easy to make a plain one with a home made pattern from a woodpecker picture but I want to surprise him and make it with some fancy fretwork and that takes my pattern making skills beyond my capabilities or at least beyond a desire to even attempt that type of pattern.

I find that I can cut out patterns much faster than I can make them and I am more interested in cutting patterns than actually designing them .

Any suggestions as to where I could get a nice fretwork pattern for this project ?

W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Try Scroll Saw Fretwork Paterns by Patrick Spielman & James Reidel.
    Sterling Publishing, 1989.
    There are a lot of background or frame patterns which could surround your woodpecker.
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Thanks but I guess that was a scarce pattern to find because I posted the request on a few sites at the same time back on May 15 and this was the first response.
      In the meantime , I told my neighbor that I not only hate painting but I am not at all good at it. That was why I wanted to go the fretwork route. It was the bird itself that I wanted to know where to to buy the pattern for.
      So I made a (outline) pattern off a picture for the bird and the rest was basic carpentry and mechanics and gave it to him as an unfinished piece and he said his wife will paint it.
      I was glad to get out of that one.
      W.Y.
      Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 06-12-2006, 11:22 AM.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

if you do a two year subscription to SSW, theres a nice intarsia woodpecker that could be easily made into a door knocking fretbird! Its in a free special ultimate pattern collection special issue .Its an awesome collection of patterns in it great job Fox Chapel ! Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
          by will8989
          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to Farmers market
          by will8989
          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
        • tgiro01
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by tgiro01
          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by Linda In Phoenix
          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
          Yesterday, 06:47 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          Reply to Plastic puzzle
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
          Yesterday, 06:38 PM
        Working...
        X