This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collectors for Scroll saws

As promised here is the set up I have on my scroll saw so I collect Dust instead of blowing it.

This is what was on the Hegner and gave me the idea for the P-20. I am sure all the ideas can be used on any saw. It can be found at Hegner Scroll Saw

This is the connection point where the two lines from the bottom of the machine and from the blade go together to connect to the Vacuum. I made the block with three pieces of oak glued together. Please pardon the bad picture. Looked good in the camera

This is the block on the machine. The bottom line goes to the vacuum.

I drilled and tapped the machine so the fitting is connected to the machine. The steel tube and clamp and quarter inch line from the hardware store.

To be continued:::::
    Last edited by ChuckD; 05-24-2010, 10:03 PM.
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Chuck D , I like your idea of the wood block better than my setup

Comment

I have used it for several years and it works fine. I forget where I got the idea.
      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
      Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

Does the 1/4" tube clog? I really like the idea of vacuuming the dust instead of blowing it around but sometimes as you know you will get small pieces of wood from sharp turns and different cuts. Do they clog up the tube or is 1/4" big enough that it's not a problem?
        It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

why not change the 1/4 inch tube to a 1/2 " tube

Comment

"Does the 1/4" tube clog?"

On my set-up, with the steel tube between the two pieces of tubing, sometimes there are small pieces that go into the tube. They don't go past the steel tube end and with the clear tubing you can see it. All it takes is a quick pull off the tube and blow out the small pieces and replace the tubing. Something you can do, which I do when I am cutting small pieces I want to keep, is to put a small piece of netting, such as a fine screen, which I use, or even a small piece of nylon stockings. Wrap a piece of tape to hold it on the end of the tubing and nothing but the fine stuff goes up the tubing. Good luck...

As far as using 1/2 inch You probably could. The only drawback to that is room under the arms. Even with the 1/4 inch it is close sometimes.and I am not sure there would be as much suction with the larger size.
            Last edited by ChuckD; 03-08-2013, 01:41 PM.
            Chuck D

Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

the dust collection use a hose that are of a diameter between 1 to 2 inches so a 1/2 " hose should have plenty vacuum

Comment

Should be if you have room. For example, some of the birdhouse compound cuts and compound Christmas Decorations are 2 inches thick. Gets a little tight.
                Chuck D

Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

Great Idea. I will have to try it.

Comment

Have phun and Good Luck Any more questions, just hollar..
                    Chuck D

Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

Chuck,

I love this idea of vacuuming the dust rather than blowing it around the workshop to collect later!
                      Ged

Comment

Do you get enough suction from that small tubing with the larger one connected to the bottom
                        Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
                        with a EX-21

Comment

Thank you for sharing, Chuck D! That's a great idea.

Comment

I have large pizza pan mounted on both my saws that are larger than the saw table--the saw dust drops onto the pan and the blower blows it to the pan--then I just vacuum it up when I am done cutting

Comment

MrV your first post! I would like to welcome you to our group. If yo don't mind could you do a post in the "welcome members" section and tell us a bit about what you like to make etc.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X